Herr Cuckoo Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Selenaserval, Jan 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Selenaserval

Selenaserval Registered User

Jan 9, 2018
    Female
    Jeweler, Disaster Recovery Coordinator
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Selenaserval, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Hi, I Just bought a Herr cuckoo clock of unknown age. It's missing the 3 weights, the oak leaf pendulum, the topper, the end of the horn, and the rear door with the gong. The clock has dancers and a music box. The bellows look good, and the clock looks fairly clean inside. The woman I bought it from (online) said that the dancers dance when she pulls the chain, the music box works, and that the bird comes out when she opens the door. She said the clock is about 13" tall, by 7" deep, by 9" across. Not sure if this clock will work, but hoping for the best. I'll need to make a back door for it, and attach a gong. But not sure yet what size gong or pendulum it requires. From doing a little research, it sounds like the clock might call for 320 gram weights. Thanks for any info!

Cuckoo clock Hubert Herr.jpg Cuckoo clock Hubert Herr5.jpg Cuckoo clock Hubert Herr3.jpg Cuckoo clock Hubert Herr1.jpg

2. Selenaserval

Jan 9, 2018
    Female
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Selenaserval, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    My clock arrived in the mail today. It looks so clean inside, and the bellows work well. I found a parts supplier with reasonable prices, and reasonable shipping. For $32.00 I can get the three 320 gram weights, the horn end, and the oak leaf pendulum that I need. I'll make the missing back panel myself and attach a gong. The stag head and oak leaf topper with crossed guns that I've had for a while fits the clock like it was made for it. I'm so excited to finally have a cuckoo clock! I've wanted one since I first saw one ,when I was three.

3. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome Selena. What took so long? I have approximately 14 cuckoos right now: some have a quail, one rings a bell, or saw wood, and some have dancers like yours. They are a lot of fun but can be a pain to work on.

Selenaserval likes this.
  4. Selenaserval

Jan 9, 2018
    Female
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Vernon, thank you for your reply. Yeah, I know! Lol Now I aspire to be just like you, and collect more. I need one with a little guy sawing wood, maybe a milkmaid churning butter, and a beautifully carved one from 1800' or 1900'. I'd also love to work on the clocks. Maybe I'll take a class, or get some books. I'm a jeweler, and work on cars, so maybe I could do okay with clocks after I get some hours in. It will be fun! It will likely be a pain too sometimes, but I like a good challenge. I want to see your clocks! :)

5. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Camera battery dead. Waiting for cell phone photos to load to cloud (may take a few hours or a day)

Selenaserval likes this.
  6. Selenaserval

Jan 9, 2018
    Female
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Vernon! I love those cuckoo clocks with the lumberjacks. Maybe I'll find a good one someday. :) My clock is coming together. It did have a pendulum after all. I found it in the shipping box today, imagine my surprise. The seller said it was missing, and sold it as such. It may have taken me a while to find the right one for it, because the oak leaves on the clock and topper are not flat, (like the ones I've seen online), but have a little more detail and curves on the surface. I took the clock in to a little clock shop in town here, and found out that the works are in great shape. I thought they looked pretty good, but nice to hear it from an expert!

7. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    IMG_20180111_182028.jpg IMG_20180111_182148.jpg IMG_20180111_181935.jpg IMG_20180111_182224.jpg Here are a few as some are not displayed.

8. Selenaserval

Jan 9, 2018
    Female
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you so much for posting pictures. You have a wonderful collection!

9. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice. Needs some work as you say. I do not have a cuckoo clock in my collection but I am on the look-out.
    Ron

10. Selenaserval

Jan 9, 2018
    Female
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Ron. I just bought another cuckoo clock, an Albert Schwab. It's much older than my first one, the H. Herr. What type of cuckoo clocks do you like, or is there a particular maker or style you want? Hope you find the one you want.