Herr Cuckoo Clock - Question regarding the bar the bird sits on

misha

Mar 2, 2021
Country
I am repairing a Herr cuckoo clock the bird does not seem to come out but cuckoos. The bar it sits on is bent and quite stiff I am not sure if that is the problem and it should be straight or if it is made that way and there is another problem. I have taken the works in and out several times and would really like to get it right this time! Thanks for your help

misha

Mar 2, 2021
Country
I am repairing a Herr cuckoo clock the bird does not seem to come out but cuckoos. The bar it sits on is bent and quite stiff I am not sure if that is the problem and it should be straight or if it is made that way and there is another problem. I have taken the works in and out several times and would really like to get it right this time! Thanks for your help

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Photos always help.
Yes the bar is meant to be bent. I'm reasonably sure that it hasn't been subsequently bent by human hands since original manufacture.
The real issue is the lever that actuates this bird perch.
Should be down near the bottom of the rod. If you open the back and watch the clock as it cuckoos you will observe that a shorter lever kicks the bird perch?

misha

Mar 2, 2021
Country
Photos always help.
Yes the bar is meant to be bent. I'm reasonably sure that it hasn't been subsequently bent by human hands since original manufacture.
The real issue is the lever that actuates this bird perch.
Should be down near the bottom of the rod. If you open the back and watch the clock as it cuckoos you will observe that a shorter lever kicks the bird perch?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Misha,
That perch can have some pretty weird shapes. Some things you can go by are: the part of the perch where the bird sits is usually parallel to the movement's front plate. This same part of the perch is usually about 1/4" back and 1/4" down from the lower inside edge of the door opening. All this is with the bird in the
'locked out' position.
To make the trial and error easier, I put a couple of small screws, with the heads cut off, in two opposing movement mounting holes. This makes it easy to pop the movement in and out in a few seconds. I start with the bare perch and then add the bird for final adjustments. A length of small copper wire can be added to make sure the perch stays in the out position. Willie X

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Misha,

Someone is going to notice that your minute hand only has the one nut. They will be telling you that that is the nut that goes on the square post behind the minute hand and then there is another nut that goes on the round post in front of the minute hand. If you don't have that second nut, which is not in your picture, you will need one. Putting the two nuts on correctly is another problem. What works for me is putting the first nut on too far, putting the second nut on snugly against the minute hand and then tightening the first nut into the back of the minute hand with needle nose pliers.

Jim

Reactions: roughbarked

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Misha,

Photos are of an eight day Herr movement recently serviced and tested to work properly. It is waiting for some radical case renovations.

1. relationship between bird post lever and movement lever seen from the front
2. relationship between bird post lever and movement lever seen from the rear
3. bird post return spring which just catches on the back plate

To make the bird go out further, move the long lever in towards the movement.
To make the bird go out less, move the long lever out from the movement.

The tension on the bird post return spring should not be too loose (the bird won't close the door).
The tension on the bird post should not be too tight (I believe the door will close between cuckoos).

Jim

P1020929.JPG P1020930.JPG P1020932.JPG

misha

Mar 2, 2021
Country
Thanks so much for your help, I have it back together and the bird is now coming out. I'm sure it will need some tweaking but slowly it is coming together and I am learning! Nice to have such a supportive group, thanks again!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I have merged the two threads so all of the information will be together. Since posts are sorted according to date, it might make the thread a little messy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff