Hermle quartz anniversary 400-day moon phase movement calibration?

clockle123

Apr 11, 2021
Country
Hello,
I repaired a Hermle quartz anniversary 400-day clock (2005-ish) that I think had a bad movement circuit board in it. It was tough, but I found a new movement (#M-2300A) only available here. (Since the new movement didn't have the moon phase gear, I swapped the original gear into the new movement by dismantling both.)

My question: I noticed on the original movement (see picture) that there were two copper traces cut on the green circuit board (left of the black blob). All four are uncut on the new movement. Does anyone know the reason; was it done at the factory for calibration? If so, how can I find what they mean/do? The clock seems to keep time, but it's only been a few days so far.

MVC-001F.JPG MVC-002F.JPG

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your movements are totally different. Apples and oranges, you know. :)
Willie X

clockle123

Apr 11, 2021
Country
I'm not sure I understand. The two photos above are of the original movement (front side and back side). The new movement is already in the clock, so I have no photo of it, but it looks identical to the original.

Perhaps my issue is described in that Hermle service manual that I've seen mentioned.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Sorry, I'm thinking of another poster, with an older movement. And your photos certainly do look different ...

FYI, the little movement in question doesn't last long. The main problem is that the thin brass tension washer (internal) on the setter knob comes loose and the hands stop moving, or lag behind. No repair, poor design.

Hope yours works out OK. If it runs now, I would certainly leave well enough alone. There is no "calibration". :)

Willie X

Last edited:

clockle123

Apr 11, 2021
Country
I disassembled the movement; inside it's all plastic gears--no brass parts internally.

This one lasted 15 years before the circuit board died, so that's not too bad as these things go. I'm fixing it for a woman whose husband has dementia. It was a gift from him.

Do you know how I can discover whether the latest edition (5th?) of the "Hermle Service Manual" has information about this movement's calibration or what the cut circuit board wire traces in my photograph are for?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
No, never heard of such a thing. I do have about 15 of these movements, will sell for cheap! No, no, I wouldn't do that to anyone. :)

FYI, they go bad setting on the shelf. What a load of crap. Never buy any Hermle battery movements, would be a good rule to live by.

They all have a thin brass (actually beryllium copper alloy) tension washer against a plastic wheel, to allow the hands to be set. You just didn't notice it, or maybe it's been changed to plastic?

Over and out,. Willie X

IMG_20210425_123617.jpg

clockle123

Apr 11, 2021
Country
Ohhh, I know what you're talking about now! I DID see what you described; I didn't pay attention to it because that was not my area of focus for this repair. I'm sorry for my misleading statement...

I more of an electronics guy, and those integrated circuit blobs (the black bump on the circuit board) are as cheap as they come and are not made for reliability.

If any of your movements are working, they might be worth something on eBay as people can be sentimental about these clocks. And swapping out a bad circuit board with a good one is easy for someone with soldering experience.

Thank you Willie X for your replies. I'm hoping someone has a Hermle Service Manual so I can put this calibration idea to rest in my head.

clockle123

Apr 11, 2021
Country
A supplier of the 5th edition of the "Hermle Service Manual" told me that there is no calibration information in the manual and that any calibration was done at the factory. I'm going to assume that's what those cuttable traces are for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre