American Hermle Pendulums

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by amzgraz, Dec 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. amzgraz

amzgraz Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a Hermle 141-070 45cm /101.9 movement from a Trend Clock. According the the Hermle Service manual, this unit should have two hammers. Well mine has only one with the accompanying gong. While winding the strike train, the clock/I experienced a a loud snap/sprang sound as the winding spring spun around the winding arbor. Assuming this had probably also happened to the owner, I examined the train and found the Second gear arbor bent on both sides of the gear and mangled teeth. Upon removeing the barrel, I found 4 missing teeth. WELL no wonder the darn thing wouldn't function.
    The Trend has a school house case in an intentional distressed finish. It cosst me $10.00 at an estate sale so i'm not out to much $. Now I need second gear and a #10 barrel. (1.) Also need a pendulum. I believe the 45cm would be the length from the suspension point to center of bob. Rather than purchase a new Hermle bob for this old clock, I would to use a generic bob. but I need to know the mass of said bob.
    Hermle service manual does not reference bob weights....Any Ideas:???: (2.) also need the small rack return spring. (see photos)
    Thanks for your interest.

DSC07995.JPG DSC07996.JPG DSC07998_LI.jpg DSC08005.JPG DSC08008.JPG DSC08011_LI.jpg

2. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 claussclocks, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    If I had a #10 barrel I would send it to you but I do not. You can purchase a new barrel from Ronell Clock supply, Butterworth Clock Supply, or Timesavers. Runs in the $30 - 35 range but includes new spring, arbor sleeve, and cap. You will need your old arbor. They also sell that spring , usually in an assortment for a few dollars. As to that wheel, I can't see it head on so you will have to say. If there are no broken or bent teeth there I would try to straighten the arbor. Lay it across an open vise with the shaft just behind the pinion and the other side as close to the pivot as you can get with the arbor on the top of the vise. The pinion and the pivot should not be touching the vise. With the arbor high side up use a flat punch and a small hammer. Tap the high part of the bend as close to the wheel as possible and bend the arbor back down. It should be soft enough to bend without breaking. you can check it for trueness by chucking it up in a lathe or even an electric drill and watching it spin at low speed to see when the
    arbor turns straight. If it should break someone should have one of those wheels. I will look and see if by chance I do tomorrow. You can also look on eBay. Any used 141 Hermle movement will have that wheel and possibly a good barrel.

I just popped over to eBay and there are two 141's there for less than a new barrel. Would have barrel, wheel, and spring. Just search for "Hermle 141". One is a buy now so now bidding.

As to the pendulum bob. Weight is not the important thing. I would go with a 3 - 4". Probably the smaller if the body of your case is narrow.

3. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check your click springs to be sure they hold the clicks firmly against the ratchet gear. Something made that barrel jump.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Check the click and click wheel too. You don't need to stage a replay. Also, a like movement a couple of years newer, will have all metal motion works. You can also buy these parts at a reasonable cost. It's a good idea to loose the plastic motion works gears for many good reasons. Willie X

5. amzgraz

amzgraz Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    thanks to all: I purchased a used 141 off Ebay and will wait for it's arrival. I looks as if also has the leader which I need. Willie X, yes the the strike side click was slightly damaged with a somewhat rounded point and the wheel is also marred. I see that both are steel and cheaply replaced. I do have a few brass clicks but not sure if the rivots are of the same plated hole diameter. Press on.......