Help Hermle 351-853/114cm query

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
I have an hermle 351-853/114cm movement code T.
It has spring powered strike and chime trains and weight driven on cable, time train.
This is the first time I've had a movement like this.
Does anyone know how heavy the weight should be that powers the time train?
The movement appears to be immaculately clean with very little wear. The strike and chime trains work like new. However the time train has very little power. When I first checked it out the cable was positioned incorrectly. After fitting the cable correctly I thought that maybe I'd sorted the problem but apparently not.
I will therefore need to check this out more thoroughly to see what is going on.
Has anyone on here had any experiences with this movement?
It'd be good to hear from you if you have.
Thanks.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I have 5 of them, all wall clocks. They are about the same but the GF models are set up with a longer cable with the weight not winding up as high. That is, it stops way short of the dial.

This may be your problem the stop works has to stop before the cable stacks. I think that point is about 10" down from the movement but it's been a while since I worked on one. It's an odd duck.

That traveler on the tail end of the weight cable has to be just right too. If it touches the end of it's travel, the clock will stop. Everything has to work freely within the range of the stop-works. Willie

Reactions: NEW65

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The weights, on my wall clocks, are 6.4# each. Weight travel is only 14". Willie

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Thanks Willie.
It's all new to me. This is the first one I've had. I checked out the stop works and as you say, it looks as if its completely messed up. The weight has been allowed to travel to high and cause the cable to stack up and tighten.
The traveler on the tail end of the cable is hard to understand, there is a threaded bar, and the traveler locates in a groove in a cam ? Does this travel on the threaded bar? It's completely different to the usual set up of a weight driven on cables movement. In fact I'm wondering the purpose behind it and why it's not been built more basic?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
They spent a lot of design effort to keep those weights parallel to the glass. Other companies just used a single weight! All about the looks of double weights I guess.

That traveler is geared directly to the winding arbor and I've always been surprised that this works at all, with all that force pulling down on the coarse threads on that traveler. It's bound to be waisting a bunch of energy rite there ... Willie

Oh well ...

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
It's unusual to see a quarter strike in a modern clock movement but that's the outline suggested in the Murray's Clock listing.
I would go on a whim and suggest very few of these were made compared to the Westminster chimes.
Other spring/weight movements have Westminster or on rare occasion, Ave Maria de Fatima chimes.

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Thanks chaps.
I need to study how that traveler works as i am not understanding it yet. But thanks Willie for mentiong the purpose of it.
Thanks Will for the picture, its the first time i have seen this Hermle movement...have to say i quite like the idea of having spring powered chime and strike and weight driven time train. I was down at billib in Bournmouth UK and got it there. i am just struggling to get it to tick as the stop gears/traveler need attention. it only ticks for a few minutes and stops. The tick is very faint. I am looking forward to getting it up and running soon. The chime/strike are perfect, full of power.
Thanks J olson, i like the wall clock. I bet those weights are heavy but as Willie mentioned, one large heavy weight would do the job. i guess its to do with improving how it looks.

Reactions: J. A. Olson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller