• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Hermle 340-020A Date code X

matthiasi

Dec 3, 2010
Kelowna
www.inhoffclocks.com
Country
Region
Hey guys, presently working on a Hermle 340-020A Date code X movement. This was installed way back in Nov. 2011. The strike side ratchet wheel stripped a tooth somehow and ... you can guess the rest. As I don't have the new style, I will be replacing it with the old style, multi-piece unit, vice the one piece with the "E-clip" in the back (actually, will re-use the original arbor, just install the old ratchet wheel, hold down and screw). Will work just fine and all the screw holes are still drilled and tapped in the front plate.

Did notice though that it only has ONE Jewel- the one in the bottom of the BO19-00080 Balance unit. There is no jewel in the top adjusting screw.
Therefore, there's about 3/4mm of endshake, not the 1/10mm were looking for normally. Is it normal for these new movements to only have the jewel on the bottom or did this one somehow "Fall out"?
The rear plate is marked with "2 Jewels"...

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
On the "new" style the click wheel is part of the arbor. I haven't worked on any of these yet (lucky I guess) but, if I understand you correctly, you plan to use an old style arbor, click wheel, retainer, and utilize the provided tapped hole for the retainer screw.
Please report back to let us all know if your plan works out.
Willie X

matthiasi

Dec 3, 2010
Kelowna
www.inhoffclocks.com
Country
Region
Thanks Mark.
I thought I remember that there was a jewel in the upper screw at one point. Oh well. That's what you get when you're over 30 I guess...

Willie- I removed the old & damaged click wheel from the arbor by punching it off on a vise/vice. The older style click wheel has the same hole size as the new ones.
The one I have just seems to be softer metal.
I'll try to get you a pic or two. I've assembled the set as a mock-up before cleaning to ensure that it will work, which it does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidgordonf
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-