Hermle 340-020 question

Phil Spencer

Sep 9, 2012
I am new to this forum, so firstly hello.

i am about to embark on building a George III mantle clock (woodwork is my real passion) it will have a Hermle 340-020A movement, I purchased the movement and other parts from Clockworks, very prompt delivery from the US to Australia. Unfortunately the movement came with no instructions regarding mounting and commissioning etc.

What I am really interested in is how to silence the chimes at night I can't see a chime silence lever anywhere on the movement, HELP does any one have any information that can help me out please?

Thanks
Phil

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
There should be a lever at the 3 or 9 position, although it's possible not all models had it. Could you post photos of the movement as it is?

Phil Spencer

Sep 9, 2012
There should be a lever at the 3 or 9 position, although it's possible not all models had it. Could you post photos of the movement as it is?
Pictures attached one of the back of the movement and one of the front. I assume the lever shaped like a reverse L is the silence lever and the speed adjustment is the silver screw on the top.

Attachments

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Pictures attached one of the back of the movement and one of the front. I assume the lever shaped like a reverse L is the silence lever and the speed adjustment is the silver screw on the top.
No, it's usually a long steel lever at the 3 or 9 position, - of which isn't present on your movement.
It simply nudges the chime train lever upward slightly to keep the chime train in warning. I presume this could be fit to the movement if you find the lever at a parts supplier.

Phil Spencer

Sep 9, 2012
No, it's usually a long steel lever at the 3 or 9 position, - of which isn't present on your movement.
It simply nudges the chime train lever upward slightly to keep the chime train in warning. I presume this could be fit to the movement if you find the lever at a parts supplier.
The lever shown on the back of the movement like a backward L lifts three of the chime bars so I suppose that mus be it.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you just give yourself a couple of weeks, I guarantee that the chimes will not keep you awake. In fact, you won't hear them when you're awake, most of the time :)

Phil Spencer

Sep 9, 2012
If you just give yourself a couple of weeks, I guarantee that the chimes will not keep you awake. In fact, you won't hear them when you're awake, most of the time :)
Most likely the best advice, I will set it up in the family room at the back of the house and let it keep the dog awake.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The lever shown on the back of the movement like a backward L lifts three of the chime bars so I suppose that mus be it.
The large lever at the back is for the hour strike - it picks up three of the hammers to produce the hour strike's chord.

As advised, it's probably best to just leave the clock as it is. It is a clock, not an air raid siren - the sound shouldn't be very disruptive.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
I am new to this forum, so firstly hello.

i am about to embark on building a George III mantle clock (woodwork is my real passion) it will have a Hermle 340-020A movement, I purchased the movement and other parts from Clockworks, very prompt delivery from the US to Australia. Unfortunately the movement came with no instructions regarding mounting and commissioning etc.

What I am really interested in is how to silence the chimes at night I can't see a chime silence lever anywhere on the movement, HELP does any one have any information that can help me out please?

Thanks
Phil
Hi
'can't help on the silence lever. You might ask Clockworks
if his model had that option.
As for speed adjustment, I don't think it is a screw.
There is a normal hair spring with a normal regulator arm
that I can see in the picture.
That is that piece that the hair spring slides through.
It ususally is just friction fit and can easily be moved
to adjust. The screw your talking about
many be the pivot bearing. It shouldn't need adjusting.
Tinker Dwight

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have this clock movement and i dont believe it has the silence lever.Like said after a while you wont notice the chimes.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Hi
Tinker Dwight
I see that there is a fine adjustment screw from the side
on this movement. Just don't play with the center screw.
Tinker Dwight

Phil Spencer

Sep 9, 2012
Hi
Tinker Dwight
I was disappointed the clock came with no information, when i asked Clockworks he just sold me his E book which only had info foe pendulum clocks nothing on escarpment clocks, to return it to the US from Australia, is a bit of a gamble .

I have this clock movement and i dont believe it has the silence lever.Like said after a while you wont notice the chimes.
Just going to start it off at the back of the house and annoy the dog first

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Phil,

They have never been shipped with any "information" ocasionally there will be a movement that is intended as a conversion and it will have some information specific to the conversion.

Lately Hermle's more basic models are not supplied with a chime silence lever. Guess they assume that you will always be replacing an old Hermle. In this case the old parts can be transferred from the old movement to the new.

A person that repairs clocks will likely have what you seek locally. In the States BFI sells them, two versions, if my memory is correct.

Good luck, Willie X

Phil Spencer

Sep 9, 2012
Phil,

They have never been shipped with any "information" ocasionally there will be a movement that is intended as a conversion and it will have some information specific to the conversion.

Lately Hermle's more basic models are not supplied with a chime silence lever. Guess they assume that you will always be replacing an old Hermle. In this case the old parts can be transferred from the old movement to the new.

A person that repairs clocks will likely have what you seek locally. In the States BFI sells them, two versions, if my memory is correct.

Good luck, Willie X
Wouldn't have the BFI web address? when I goggle it I get the British Film Institute.

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
When that happens, you have to give google more info, so start typing it out in full and half way through google will fill it in for you. I think he is referring to a USA. Company called Black forest imports
david

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It would be best to look for a used one first. Maybe someone in your country will read this mail you one, with the attachment screw, special washer, attached lever, etc. There is actually 5 pieces on most of these.

Does your dial already have a slot at the 3:00 position? If no, it is much better to NOT try and make a slot. A small length of 3/32" brass rod that hangs down about 1" below the dial board will turn out much nicer.

Good luck, Willie X

Phil Spencer

Sep 9, 2012
It would be best to look for a used one first. Maybe someone in your country will read this mail you one, with the attachment screw, special washer, attached lever, etc. There is actually 5 pieces on most of these.

Does your dial already have a slot at the 3:00 position? If no, it is much better to NOT try and make a slot. A small length of 3/32" brass rod that hangs down about 1" below the dial board will turn out much nicer.

Good luck, Willie X
I have managed to order one through Black forest imports and a bag of screws as well.

The dial has a slot cut in to it also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry