Hermle 340 020 movement

Alan0048

Jun 17, 2021
Country
Hi Everyone, this is my first post, so hopefully I have done this right.
I live in England and a couple of weeks ago decided to refurbish a family owned clock.
The clock is a Hermle Moon phase mantel clock with a 340 020 movement.
I decided to bite the bullet and buy a brand new Hermle 340 020 movement from a well know clock part supplier in England.
It arrived very quickly and well package and was keen to get it fitted. Fitting the movement was not a problem.
The main problem is the chiming, the Westminster chime sound great, except it missing out the last note, only to play that single some 7 mins later !, I also noticed that on the hour, only 2 of the 3 hammers are being used, one of the hammers is left in mid air.
I suspect its a problem with the impact roller or as Hermle refers to it as Schlagrolle.
Being a brand new movement, I thought everything would have been checked and passed at the factory
Ive informed the company I bought it from, and they say I have to take it to a professional clock repairer to get it fixed.
I don't want to do this, as Im spending more money on getting a new movement fixed.
Can anyone help me sort the movement problem out.

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
The chime driving gear on the rear of the movement needs to be moved forward in the direction of normal travel, ever so slightly. The movement will need to be removed if you cannot get to the adjusting screw.

This should have been checked before installation. They are normally spot on but that is why we need a test stand.

Alan0048

Jun 17, 2021
Country
Good Morning, just a quick reply and I've managed to sort of the problem from the advice given. Its simple when you know how.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
The response you received from your supplier was very unfortunate
Of course, that would depend on who the supplier was, or even the person dealing with your problem. The best way to deal with such things is to contact "Which" who are totally independent.
you would not have received this treatment in the US.
Not even with the plethora of suppliers in such a vast country as the US? Hmmm ...

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
There are actually only 3 wholesale distributors of that movement in the US, and I am delighted to say none would treat the customer that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John P.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller