• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Hermle 340 020 A repair

JDixon

Oct 22, 2020
Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK
Country
Region
Ok so I am a bit of a novice with clock repair having only fixed 3 mantel clocks. 2 Perivale and 1 Haller movement.

however my mum’s mantel clock has just stopped working which is a hermle 340-020A movement. I did say I would try take a look at it, but couldn’t promise anything!

the first thing I notice is this movement does not have a traditional pendulum, and to be honest I am not sure what the terminology is for this type of ‘pendulum alternative’… so I am not sure what to research.

could anyone help in telling me what this kind of movement is called, and whether or not this would be a show stopper for me trying to fix given my very 0A57956D-F32A-4E81-AF4E-61BF81127C05.jpeg limited experience in clock repair.

thanks in advance

ok after a bit of digging….. is this what’s called a ‘floating balance’:???:

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
This is a complicated movement for a beginner. You should put it aside for later. Get a time only or time/strike movement and let us help you with it first. Then later we can help with that one. What did you do to the ones you already worked on?
Will

JDixon

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
Thx .. I did think this would be a bit beyond me but thought I’d ask. I was only looking into this as a favour for a relative. Tbh she said she never liked the clock so was glad when it stopped running and was going to throw it away!1

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
You may get lucky with this one. That is a floating balance you have circled. If you remove be that and rinse it in naphthalene you might find it will run better. But a clock of this type and vintage usually requires several bushings to restore it to full working order.

Simon

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
You may get lucky with this one. That is a floating balance you have circled. If you remove be that and rinse it in naphthalene you might find it will run better. But a clock of this type and vintage usually requires several bushings to restore it to full working order.

Simon
That is not a FLOATING BALANCE.
That is a conventional balance.
Dick

JDixon

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
That is not a FLOATING BALANCE.
That is a conventional balance.
Dick
thanks both. I will do a bit of research into this ‘balance’ mechanism and see what I can find. As the clock is probably going to be thrown away, I am thinking I may well just try and give it a go.

The other clocks I have done were all 3 train clocks, so hopefully these won’t be too much of an issue for me, it was just that this whole ‘balance’ mechanism is something totally new.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It also has one piece arbor/clicks, probably around 15 years old. It may have a date code there somewhere. Anyway it's rather newish.

She doesn't like clocks ... don't offer to fix it ... offer to buy it, for not to many $$ of course.

Willie X

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
Apologies for my error. I may need new glasses...:cool:

Simon

JDixon

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
It also has one piece arbor/clicks, probably around 15 years old. It may have a date code there somewhere. Anyway it's rather newish.

She doesn't like clocks ... don't offer to fix it ... offer to buy it, for not to many $$ of course.

Willie X
Well I have read somewhere that the ‘A’ in the code 340 020A is a date code representing 1988…… not sure if that is true?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
No, there should be a date or letter above that. But to answer your question, the balance mechanism is just another type of escapement, and the balance itself is very likely not the problem. It can be removed, cleaned as noted above, and set aside as you work on the rest of the clock. Everything inside the plates will be very similar to what you've worked on before.
If Mum is going to toss it anyway, ask her to toss it your way :)

Reactions: Dave T

JDixon

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
No, there should be a date or letter above that. But to answer your question, the balance mechanism is just another type of escapement, and the balance itself is very likely not the problem. It can be removed, cleaned as noted above, and set aside as you work on the rest of the clock. Everything inside the plates will be very similar to what you've worked on before.
Thanks shutterbug, I am now the proud owner of a non working Hermle clock will be taking it back home at the weekend and hopefully make a start on it. Fingers crossed I will be able to get it to run again

JDixon

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
I have just noticed the letter O above the text which I assume is the date indicator?

3FE93DB7-317B-400B-A002-ACCECAB2360E.jpeg

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
O = 2002
Somewhere in the files at this site is a good article on repairing and servicing the 340 series Hermle. I stumbled across it yesterday, but can't find it now. It was posted by a knowledgeable member, and I think it's in the How to area somewhere.
Maybe someone here can help find it.

JDixon

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
O = 2002
Somewhere in the files at this site is a good article on repairing and servicing the 340 series Hermle. I stumbled across it yesterday, but can't find it now. It was posted by a knowledgeable member, and I think it's in the How to area somewhere.
Maybe someone here can help find it.
Cheers Dave, that would be a great help if I could find it. I’ll do some digging.

JDixon

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Tracer, I don’t know why Timesavers calls them floating balances. The old ones actually floated with a tube that had jewels inside and floated on a spring. The new replacements are like traditional hairspring balances with a balance staff and coiled spring. :???:?
I see your point and agree with you that there is nothing “floating” in this new version. I assumed they had only changed the shape of the spring, but that it still floated. Thanks for the explanation.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
It is really a sad note that the floating balances are not used anymore.
Those were a trouble free unit and lasted forever if someone did not mess with them.
I understand Hermle, Smiths and others stopped using floating balances because of a patent dispute.
Best,
Dick

Reactions: wow

matthiasi

Dec 3, 2010
Kelowna
www.inhoffclocks.com
Country
Region
Dick- that is correct. All sorts of companies were using the floating balance. Hermle actually had several styles and sizes. The poor inventor didn't get any royalties from all of these infringements. IIRC, he sued them all, took a long time and when he won, everyone stopped using the floating balance and switched to something else. If only I could remember who the poor guy was...

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
Dick- that is correct. All sorts of companies were using the floating balance. Hermle actually had several styles and sizes. The poor inventor didn't get any royalties from all of these infringements. IIRC, he sued them all, took a long time and when he won, everyone stopped using the floating balance and switched to something else. If only I could remember who the poor guy was...
The sad part, in my view is that they were used at all. The new unit is called the hairspring balance to distinguish it from the old helical coil balance. This is an example of a pin pallet escapement, which is about 80% less effective in the use of power than the pendulum unit. They came about prior to a good autobeat escapement. We replace all of the balance units with a pendulum version. In addition, I would guess that 90% of the repair people do not know how to properly adjust them.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
JD,
When I run acrose a 'known and not to old' clock like that. I let the springs down. Do the arbor drop test, to make sure all is free, oil it, and wind er back up. There's a good chance it will run. Willie X

Last edited:

matthiasi

Dec 3, 2010
Kelowna
www.inhoffclocks.com
Country
Region
Thanks you from me as well. Now I can remember my dads words about Hettich...
and to think I just repaired a Hettich W51 earlier this year for someone...

I personally like working on these "Schwebegang" Floating balance units. Did an early Hermle 340 with the very small one and another with the exposed balance wheel / fork not too long ago...

Putting in a new wire when the old was was abused isn't too difficult - I use 'cheap and readily available' guitar string of the correct size. Get it for around a buck. :)

If everyone were to get rid of anything old, then we wouldn't have any history left. Good or bad. No collector cars / airplanes / boats, no electric cord movements...

JDixon

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
JD,
When I run arose a 'known and not to old' clock like that. I let the springs down. Do the arbor drop test, to make sure all is free, oil it, and wind er back up. There's a good chance it will run. Willie X
Thanks Willie, well I am back home today and have brought the clock back with me and I Have just finished dismantling it. All I can say is that it looks like it is in desperate need of a clean. All arbor and pivot holes are full of gunk. So I am hoping this will solve the problem!

if I do get the movement to run, I am expecting a few questions will arise in trying to suncle the chimes and strikes but I will think about that when I get there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CliveH
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-