• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Help Hermle 1161strike warning not engaging....

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hello All...I'm working on this Hermle 1161 triple chime movement...This movement is the one I had recently posted about and was happy to report all was well...Well I noticed while it was on the stand that I neglected to put the E clip back on the Rack...I took the movement off the stand and installed the clip. When it went back on the stand, the strike warning would not engage after the 4th chime sequence completed and the additional lift would prepare to have the rack drop. The rack will drop but the wheel with the warning pin won't spin without a slight nudge...So i thought...bent pivot? Possibly...But everything...chimes and strike were working perfectly fine 5 minutes earlier..... I took the plates apart and checked all pivots any way...They all seem fine...The movement is still doing the same thing....
Any thoughts?

Best,
Bob

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You can temporarily unlock the train, so it runs all the time. Then continuously stop and release the train using your finger on the fly. This may allow you to see or localize the problem.

If the fly won't rotate on its on. The stoppage will be found just south of where you have free and easy end shake. It's not unusual for the fly itself to be the problem.

Another test: With the springs completely let down, hold the movement at eye level, with the plates in plane with the floor. Then with a small screwdriver (or wooden skewer) lift and drop eash arbor in the chime train. Each one should drop cleanly under its own weight and make a nice little metallic click. When an arbor won't drop cleanly, thar's yer problem, or at least one of yer problems. :)

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidgordonf
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-