Hermle 1151 - on the hour full 4x4 plus 1x4

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by NEW65, Jul 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Chaps.
    Weird problem today- hermle1151 does 4x4 on hour then runs on and does 1x4?
    I have to sort this fault out by today but just thought I’d add this problem on here to hear any views?
    Thanks as always :)
    Does 1x4 and 2x4 and 3x4 perfectly well although because it runs on on the hour it has to correct itself. If you get what I’m saying?

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The little pin that rides against the top of chime sequence cam (4 slotted cam) should be in the bottom of the slot at normal stop. It should not start up the cam at warning. Also, make sure that the chime warning pin is stopping in line with the chime fly arbor.

It is posable that the chime sequence cam's shaft is slightly bent or its bushing is badly worn. Willie X

3. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Willie - Im at my workplace now and just testing out what you've said. I have also noticed that the long lever that runs across the front of the movement is being held high when perhaps it should be falling down sooner? (ie it seems to be raised when the 4 x 4 has completed and it not catching anywhere :confused:

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That stop depression on the chime count wheel may need to be a bit deeper. You can visually see if it is more shallow than the others.

NEW65 likes this.
  5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #5 Willie X, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    A stickey warning pin on the strike side could be holding up the long lever but I don't see how it could do that on the hour only. Let down the strike side spring and move the warning wheel's pin out of the way, then see what happens.

Look closely over there on the strike side. The long lever could be binding against the plate or warning wheel when it gets the 'high lift' from the chime sequencer cam at the end of the 4th quarter chime count. The lift may simply be too high but that should be fairly obvious. I can't think of anything that would make the lift too high unless someone has bent the long lever upward. If so, there should be some tel-tel marks on the lever where that deed was done. Willie X

NEW65 likes this.
  6. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Shutt and Willie for the great advice.
    Willie, I checked the long lever out. It was being lifted very high but on inspection it looks as if the lever has been bent upwards as I could visibly see some scuff marks on the brass. Looks like someone has messed about with it ! I removed the the long lever and replaced it with a different one (as I have lots of spares available). Since exchanging it the problem has been rectified!! The movement is now chiming correctly on the hour. I cannot think why on earth someone would bend that lever as much as that - I just wonder if anyone has any ideas on that? Maybe the lobe on the chime count wasn't lifting it high enough? When this happens I always slightly hammer out the surface of the lobe to get more lift that way! The chime stop seems fine - very little play so I am rather confused?? Centre arbor slight play but nothing significant? Cheers mate.