Hermle 1151-050 Hammer Adjustment

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by scott64a, Aug 25, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. scott64a

scott64a Registered User

Jul 31, 2013
    Clockmaker
    Harvard, MA
    Region Flag:
    Hey all,

I've been beating my head against the wall with this 1151-050 for a couple of days now, and am starting to get frustrated. The hammer assembly was really bent up when I got this clock from my customer, as the owner was trying to fudge it along rather than just get it cleaned and serviced.

As a result of adding a bunch of lea shot to the weight sleeve, the great wheel of the chime train had dug a groove away from it's original position of around 4MM. There were a lot of bushings replaced, let me tell you.

At any rate, it's been running the Westminster just fine, if a little slow, but it hangs up on the Whittington and St Michael's every time.

I can't find any diagrams showing the proper orientation for the hammers at rest, or how to set the leaf springs they rest on. As I said, the customer had been in there messing with it all and I don't have a non-tampered-with movement around to check it against.

Anyone have a good picture showing the hammer tail assembly at rest?

It seems the posts holding the whole chime assembly are also bent... I imagine it needs to be square to the rear plate, right?

Sheesh...

2. Randy Beckett

Randy Beckett Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 23, 2012
    33 yr. employee of American Electric Power Company
    Mt. Pleasant, Tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't help you with pictures, but Westminster loads the chime train less than Whittington, because, with Whittington, it is raising more than one hammer at the same time. Not sure about St. Michaels. So you may still have a power problem.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When you set the chimes, you have to use either the Whittington or the St. Michael's. They both have a descending 8 note scale at the 1/4 hour. If you use the Westminster to set the chimes it will likely be wrong because of the fewer hammer lifts. When you get either of the other two set right, it should work the Westminster just fine too. The important part is getting the train to lock just as the last hammer falls. That way, you're not trying to lift anything during the warning run, which will require too much power while the fan is starting to turn during the run.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Sound like a new movement was due some time back. :)
    Willie X

5. scott64a

scott64a Registered User

Jul 31, 2013
    Clockmaker
    Harvard, MA
    Region Flag:
    Well, I suppose the next time I see bent hammers and a great wheel that out 9f place, I'll know better than to try and overhaul it.
    I'll just suggest a new movement.

I'm still losing power in the chime train, and have replaced six bushings so far.
    Some days chicken, some days feathers.