Hermle 1050 20

Donald P Bellamy

Oct 9, 2003
Kentucky
Country
Region
This movement has been serviced, has been cleaned, polished and oiled along with the main springs. This movement does not show any wear just looks good. I put it back together and ran fine for 2 days then stopped. I find that I can give the balance a little start and apply very light pressure to the minute hand and the balance gets up to par any thoughts would be appreciated.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
How much rotation are you getting from the balance wheel? You need about 360° for it to run reliably. When you move the hands manually, you are actually adding power. That probably indicates that the movement is losing power, which in turn indicates that you may have misdiagnosed the condition of the movement. When small deficiencies like wear are multiplied over several points it becomes difficult for power to be transferred, and the clock will eventually succumb to the pressure.

Donald P Bellamy

Oct 9, 2003
Kentucky
Country
Region
How much rotation are you getting from the balance wheel? You need about 360° for it to run reliably. When you move the hands manually, you are actually adding power. That probably indicates that the movement is losing power, which in turn indicates that you may have misdiagnosed the condition of the movement. When small deficiencies like wear are multiplied over several points it becomes difficult for power to be transferred, and the clock will eventually succumb to the pressure.
Thank you Shutterbug I found the problem 4 bent barrel teeth on the time train. This 1050 has the #50 on the strike and the # 52 barrel on the time. Timesavers explained their Hermel barrel is for both the 50 and 52, if the barrel is the same then why stamp the caps 50 and 52? Any info would be appreciated.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Donald,
They consolidated some of the barrel assemblies where the only difference was a very slight difference in the springs. All of the earlier movements had two #40s for the time and strike. Check the second arbor (bent?) along with it's wheel and pinion (damaged teeth?).
This damage is often caused by a clock that won't run and someone keeps puting more and more force on the spring until it breaks. Wishful thinking I guess. So, after the broken parts are replaced, the odds of your clock running properly is not very good. :( Just saying, Willie X

Donald P Bellamy

Oct 9, 2003
Kentucky
Country
Region
Donald,
They consolidated some of the barrel assemblies where the only difference was a very slight difference in the springs. All of the earlier movements had two #40s for the time and strike. Check the second arbor (bent?) along with it's wheel and pinion (damaged teeth?).
This damage is often caused by a clock that won't run and someone keeps puting more and more force on the spring until it breaks. Wishful thinking I guess. So, after the broken parts are replaced, the odds of your clock running properly is not very good. :( Just saying, Willie X
Willie X
If after replacing the spring barrel and the 2nd arbor assembly Why would it not run correctly assuming all else is good to go? Thanks for your time.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Donald,
There is another Hermle thread running currently; that clock is 34 years old. I was thinking about that thread when replying to yours.
I looked back on your thread and you make no mention of the age. If your clock is relatively new your assumption should be correct. Good luck, Willie X

Donald P Bellamy

Oct 9, 2003
Kentucky
Country
Region
Donald,
There is another Hermle thread running currently; that clock is 34 years old. I was thinking about that thread when replying to yours.
I looked back on your thread and you make no mention of the age. If your clock is relatively new your assumption should be correct. Good luck, Willie X
Thank you Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you wanted, you could put your spring in the new barrel. But the difference between the springs was minimal anyway.

Donald P Bellamy

Oct 9, 2003
Kentucky
Country
Region
If you wanted, you could put your spring in the new barrel. But the difference between the springs was minimal anyway.
I found a new barrel installed my spring and installed. The balance wheel turns about a 1/4" beyond 360 degrees, with this type balance that doesn't have the holes and weights how is it known if it is in time or in beat?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If it runs for 10 days or more and keeps time within about 2 or 3 minutes a week, there is nothing to do. :)

Off more than 2 or 3 minutes in 7 days? I would make 1/4 turn adjustments at the rating screw until you get good weekly results. 1/8 turns when you are close to rate. Note, turning the screw clockwise makes the clock go slower ...
Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can listen to the beat. It will be a lot faster than a pendulum, but should have the same regular beat. If it doesn't, you can insert the blade of a small screwdriver into the slot on the hairspring collet and hold it still while you turn the balance wheel. But be careful. Those little springs are fragile.

Donald P Bellamy

Oct 9, 2003
Kentucky
Country
Region
You can listen to the beat. It will be a lot faster than a pendulum, but should have the same regular beat. If it doesn't, you can insert the blade of a small screwdriver into the slot on the hairspring collet and hold it still while you turn the balance wheel. But be careful. Those little springs are fragile.
Thank you, the beat sounds equal ill run it for a week and get back thanks again

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
10 seconds in a day is about as good as they will do, even when new.

Now, if you would prefer it to be a little fast, rather than a little slow, that's easy enough to do. :)

On time (in a week) not going to happen.

Willie X

Donald P Bellamy

Oct 9, 2003
Kentucky
Country
Region
10 seconds in a day is about as good as they will do, even when new.

Now, if you would prefer it to be a little fast, rather than a little slow, that's easy enough to do. :)

On time (in a week) not going to happen.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HistorySeeker
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre