Hermle 1050-20 movement with 5 chimes

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by oldlawman, Mar 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. oldlawman

oldlawman New Member

Mar 14, 2017
    I recently acquired a Hamilton mantel clock with the above movement. It has a selector for five different chimes at 3 o'clock, and runs perfectly, but I don't know how to turn the chimes on. Any help appreciated.

2. dickstorer

dickstorer Registered User

Oct 19, 2010
    I am not saying that you are wrong, but I have never seen a mantle clock with 5 chimes. Are you sure?

3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    The standard Hermle 1050 movements have three chime melodies - Westminster, St. Michael, Whittington - and a silence option. I seem to recall the top position is silent, followed by the three melodies below. Try pushing the lever down.

4. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Also check around the chime hammers for a packing block that was put in place during shipping and may be blocking the hammers?

5. Robert Gift

Robert Gift Registered User

Nov 12, 2012
    Wonderful! What are the five chimes? I know of only three in a small clock: Whittington, St. Michaels, Westminster.

6. oldlawman

oldlawman New Member

Mar 14, 2017
    You made me get out the magnifying glass (should have done that before posting) and you are of course correct - top is silent, then Whittingham, St. Michael, and Westminster. It doesn't want to chime in any of those positions, so I guess I better take it to a clock guy. Thank you so much.

7. oldlawman

oldlawman New Member

Mar 14, 2017
    You are right (after looking at it with a magnifying glass). Only three :)

- - - Updated - - -

I will check for a packing block, although this is a used clock and I didn't notice anything like that when I looked inside. If that isn't the problem, I'll take it to a clock guy. Thank you so much for your help.