Hermle 1050-020*&^%$!

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
Hi team,

There I was, minding my own business, when what should walk in but a Hermle 1050-020, eight hammer, triple chime looking tough. We wrestled for a bit and I got it running right and doing the other things it's supposed to, except for the dang chime. It plays Westminster, St. Michael's and Whittington. Now the Westminster I've finally got running OK, no hammers hanging up, everything doing what it should. But I can't say that for the others. At random points, I'm left with one hammer hanging or getting ready to move up as it stops under load.
Short of psychotherapy, is there some easy process for making sure all three tunes do what they should, and not just Westminster?

Regards,

TonyR.

lkjjkl

Jul 23, 2008
Country
Region
You may not like this idea... But clockworks.com claims you can swap out the movement with a newer model from the factory that's ready to go for a decent price. There was another thread recently where someone had problems with a new movement from clockworks though--I think they needed to oil it or something.

Cactus50

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2001
manor, Texas
Country
Region
When you set up the chimes on these you need to set up one of the longer tunes - St. Michaels or Whitington first, because there is very little room for error there. I find it easiest to set it on the 1/4 hour where you have a rundown of all of the hammers in order, then you can see if the mechanism locks immediately after the last note plays. If it does not, the next sequence will start under load and will probably stall. The solution is to loosen the set screws on the drive wheel and rotate to set the lifting pins in the correct position. It works on WMC because there is a lot more room between the last note of one sequence and the first note of the next.

Len Lataille

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2002
"On a triple chime movement such as the 1050-020, watch for all eight hammers operate in order on the Whittington first quarter chime".

Quote from Steve Conover's "Chime Clock Repair". The best book that you will ever own on repairing chime clocks.

itbme1987

May 18, 2008
NY
Country
Region
When you set up the chimes on these you need to set up one of the longer tunes - St. Michaels or Whitington first, because there is very little room for error there. I find it easiest to set it on the 1/4 hour where you have a rundown of all of the hammers in order, then you can see if the mechanism locks immediately after the last note plays. If it does not, the next sequence will start under load and will probably stall. The solution is to loosen the set screws on the drive wheel and rotate to set the lifting pins in the correct position. It works on WMC because there is a lot more room between the last note of one sequence and the first note of the next.
i can agree with this because i had the same issue with a Urgos grandfather clock i had purchased, when i bought it the chime notes were out of order so i done as was suggested earlier and had it set for westminster it played fine so i though ok i fixed it, then a week later i thought i would try the others...and yes it played...but had same issues as yours it would hand up at random times and work well sometimes...so i adjusted to have it stop at the last note and it seems fine, good luck with yours

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
Tony:

Did you get it straightened out yet? I don't recall the exact setup of this movement, but the easiest way to deal with this problem is usually to simply unscrew the setting screw on the top gear that drives the chime barrel. If it stops on a hammer or starts to touch a hammer during warning, loosen the screw and roll the gear and barrel assembly in whichever direction it needs to be corrected. Once done, tighten the screw.

The best way to examine a triple chime is in Whittington or St. Michael mode, as they use all the hammers. Westminster will fall into line once these are set up properly. Also, make sure if you set it up in Whittington, you check St. Michael as well. Then, just adjust the drive gear as needed.

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hey TonyR-

Check to be sure your hammer lift isn't excessive. If the hammer heads are traveling more than one hammer head before they are released, there will be insufficient clearance between when the hammer is let off and another is lifted. This can make it impossible to avoid a hammer being raised or one that hangs.

This is a common problem when the hammer tails have been forced out of adjustment by pulling downward on the hammer arms. The problem can be corrected by bending the hammer tails towards the post until there is no more than one hammer head's worth of travel. Then the hammer arms can be adjusted by lifting them slightly, so as to avoid re-bending the hammer tail, and bending the hammer arm closer to the chime rod.

Hope that helps!

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
Hi,

thank you, gentlemen, me and the 1050 shall dance again in the light of your knowledge, and may the best man win.

Regards,

TonyR.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Labounty; (How's going btw?)

Is this a general rule for most chiming clocks like this?

RJ

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hey RJ-

I've been keeping my nose to the grind stone :). Seems like you have to work harder to make a dollar these days. I'm praying you are well and life is treating you kindly!

And yes, this is a good rule to follow for all striking and chiming clocks. Excessive hammer lift means excessive power demand and, on some movements, more than a hammer-head travel will cause the strike or chime to fail.

So, too much lift can cause more problems than being unable to adjust for a hammer lifting or hanging at stop.

Hope that helps!

TonyR

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2005
Hi, Guys,

Got the thing working right with the liberal application of your advice and only a lbit of prayer. Suffer the little Hermles to come unto me.

Regards,

TonyR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eric O
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre