Here's a dumb question

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by CJo, Oct 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CJo

CJo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Operator in an Ethanol plant. I train new operator
    southwest Kansas.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How do I know from looking at the verge that it is an auto beat vs an adjustable verge?

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good question. I don't know the answer but I have been exposed to very few auto beats because I mostly deal with antique clocks. I would think that the clutch in an auto beat has relative low friction compared to an adjustable one. But that's something to feel, not to see. Maybe others know more.

Uhralt

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #3 Willie X, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    An auto- beat verge is loose on the shaft. At the tip of the crutch 7 to 45 grams pressure will rotate the verge on its shaft. It moves whenever the pendulum overswings it's normal swing.

Manually adjusted clocks have a very stiff verge clutch. It does not normally move at all. It can be adjusted by forcefully moving it. But, it should never move during normal operation of the clock.

WIllie X

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Missed the "looking" part. I don't think looking is going to help you much.:)

Generally speaking, nearly all GF clocks, with large lyre pendulums made in the last 50 years, will have the auto-beat feature. Only recently has its use spread to wall clocks.

Note: nearly all Chinese clocks have the auto-beat feature. Ha

WIllie X

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Auto beat verges are dependent on very short escape wheel teeth. The tips of the anchor can hit the rim of the tooth wheel when the pendulum is swinging wide, and both sides will hit the rim. The anchor will move each time it does. After the swing narrows down the anchor is not longer being interrupted by the rim and the auto-beat is complete. So .... look for short teeth. If they look "normal", it's not an auto beat.

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, but the OP wants to find out by looking at the verge....:D

Uhralt

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ain't no such thing as an auto-beat verge.

Is what I think.

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The verge and E-wheel are designed as a set. To convert an autobeat to a manual adjust, you have to change both parts and these parts are now only available for a few movement.

Another oddity, the factories call an auto-beat an "autobeat". But a manual adjust is called a "deadbeat". Does this mean an "autobeat" is not a "deadbeat"? Absolutely not ... they are both very much deadbeat designs. Weird huh?

WIllie X

9. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So sue me. :(

10. CJo

CJo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Operator in an Ethanol plant. I train new operator
    southwest Kansas.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I want to thank you so much for your responses. I have learned a lot. Now I know to look closer at the escape wheel teeth and the looseness of the verge. One other thing I have seen in this forum mentioned is that the verge is not to be put into a sonic cleaner. Is this completely detrimental to the verge?

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The autobeat verge has a wafer material sandwiched between metal parts to provide a little friction. Getting it wet ruins it, and it's hard to get tight again.