Marine: Here is one not posted yet A Zenith

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by River rat, Feb 5, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Here is a odd ball I have not seen yet here a Zenith made by Vale watch company in the USA and was used by the US Navy until Hamilton started mass production of the model 22 in WW2 info Whitney book Military Timepieces page 391-393. Got this for a great price at a NAWCC mart years ago see them on fleabay for prices the sellers should be ashamed for.
    007-15.jpg

011-10.jpg

2. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    These were up jewelled Waltham car clocks (37s) made during WWI. This movt was a workhorse for Waltham and used during WWII for tank clocks and the CDIA Aircraft Clock.

3. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #3 River rat, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Here is a Waltham movement I got one of those to there different movement from two different co a lot of company's who made car clocks looked all most the same. So totally different with small differences. This Waltham got some cool issued marks on the brass tub I have never seen on another with US Navy and serial number. The movement serial numbers date it around the time of WW1

009-4.jpg

4. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    A little info from Whitney book military timepieces

001-23.jpg

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Waltham and Zenith were a lot alike and Vale upgraded Zenith travel and car clock movements just like Roth and others did for Waltham movements. The wind indicator is the easiest difference to spot. Another big difference is that Roth rarely, if ever, signed their Zenithupgrades.

I have and have had quite a bit of the Vale/Zenith material but never a complete piece. I believe they are much less common than the Walthams