Henry Ward, Blandford, Hooded alarm Late 18thC

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by novicetimekeeper, Sep 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I try to buy local clocks where I can, this one was made less than 10 miles away.

Henry Ward was a talented engineer, an inventive clock maker. He has a regulator in the British Museum, he won awards for his innovations and complicated clocks. He was born in 1776 and died in 1815, dates of significance, his short span covered a period of great change.

This little clock is rather more humble than his other clocks I've seen before, but like all in business you make what your customers will buy. This was probably for below stairs and the customer may have bought one of his grander clocks for the main house.

I pick it up next weekend, I have permission to use the pics. It has no weights or pendulum. The hood is associated but may form the basis for a new case.

It doesn't have a Huygens continuous loop system but separate drives for time and alarm, more like a cuckoo clock.
    original (7).jpg
    original (6).jpg original (7).jpg original (6).jpg 240_c.jpg 240_b.jpg 240_a.jpg 240_c.jpg 240_b.jpg 240_a.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well as I'm only able to reply to my own threads at the moment I'll add that I may have messed up the pictures insertion, but I can't access the help so somebody else will have to sort it out!

3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Looks like a fine looking clock.

Rob

4. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm looking forward to seeing it, I hope the hood can be made to fit. Next problem is finding suitable weights, they will be quite small.

5. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice!

Ron

6. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    I used to live in Blandford, although that's half a lifetime and half a world away now! I can't imagine there were all that many wealthy clients in the area around the 1800s, so would assume that this type of clock, together with the 30-hour long case, would probably have been his "standard" line of clocks. I guess with the river there could have been mills in town, and there was always the sheep market, but Blandford never struck me as a centre of great wealth...

Anyway, its a nice, and interesting find - well done!

7. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i'm guess this is part of your make-the-other-guys-jealous-once-or-twice-a-month program? fyi, it's working! :cool:

8. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After the fire in the 1730s, when they rebuilt Blandford, there was clearly a lot of money about. Bryanstone is one of the most impressive houses in Dorset too. The town was a centre for lace, gloves, and buttons, as well as the wool market.

Henry wasn't around long enough to produce a huge number of clocks, I've seen very few by him. I agree, provincial makers had to make what they could sell, and their sophisticated clocks would have been a small part of their production, but we don't have many of his at all.

I have a clock by Thomas Baker of Blandford, he was working a century earlier and produced clocks of London quality but you are right, the town was not able to support a lot of clock production to that standard.

9. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Awesome clock. Nicely made and small size. Will look great hanging on the wall!

10. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you are confusing me with DeanT :)

11. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It will be my smallest clock at about 6"x8", I'm really looking forward to seeing it because I don't think I can appreciate how small that is until I hold it. The dimensions the Auction house gave for the hood suggest that it could be a good fit, it will be a challenge to make a bracket to blend in with that hood but If anybody can do that it is the chap who is getting the job.

I have a space for it in my sitting room where I had been thinking of a skinny longcase with a verge lantern clock, but I did wonder about putting it in my bedroom and using the alarm. I think that may prove unpopular with not just my partner but most of my neighbours, I imagine it sounds like a fire alarm like my other alarm clock. (we don't run that it has an awful tick)

12. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    I guess we all get to the point of getting smaller clocks as the space available, whether physical space or that allowed by partners, shrinks due to the collection growing. At the rate you are going you may, like me, end up collecting carriage clocks....

13. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I started off with a French carriage clock, because my then partner bought it for me as an acceptable noise, he couldn't abide the idea of a longcase. It is going in the local BHI auction next week, as I now only have English clocks.

I do sense that there may be some regret on the part of my now partner reacting to that story by saying that he thought I should have whatever I wanted.

In deference to his look of anguish when the combination of sounds gets too much I have stopped one of the longcase that is nearest his chair, it happens to be the Baker from Blandford, but it is in a corner behind us and we never notice the time on it as we don't walk past it. It has become a piece of furniture, I feel sorry for it but at least it will not wear out, it might deserve a rest after 320 odd years.

14. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Hey Nick, thats a real nice one!! But I have to warn you.................................. you seem to have been bitten by the little bug that spread a most dangerous addiction!!!!!!

15. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I think no doubt about the addiction. Fortunately I get to do vicarious clock collecting through friends too which keeps the cost down.

Have you bought a silvered dial longcase yet? I keep seeing them and thinking of you! (you can't have this one)

16. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    No I did not buy that one, the dialfeet where a bit damaged at the front side of the dial. No way you can get that fixed without noticing.

17. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a nice little one to add to your collection, although you answered my impending question about where you would put it, earlier. you have already shown us how some of your other clocks are squeezed (sorrry, fitted) in to your place.
    Why do you say it doesn't have a huygens loop. There are no winders on the front, and as far as i think I can see , there is only one click.
    David

18. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Just got back from the auction house with it and a couple of lots for somebody else.

A Huygens loop involves two great wheels, time and strike, the click is on the strike wheel and the time wheel is fixed on the arbour so that you wind pulling on one of the four lines that hang down, the weight remains in tension on the time great wheel providing maintaining power. The rope/chain is in one continuous loop.

This has one great wheel, for the time, and that has a click, so it has a single length of line with a weight at each end, you pull on the counterweight line and the drive weight rises on the other side, no loop, no maintaining power. The drive for the alarm also has a click and two weights, so you pull on the counterweight side and the alarm weight rises. When the alarm is set off the weight falls driving the alarm until the counterweight runs up against the seatboard and stops the alarm.

I have an alarm longcase that is also time and strike, there the usual huygens drive operates, and the alarm is as described above, here there is only the alarm, no strike on the hours.

It will be a while before this goes on the wall, I might put it in my bedroom but it is unlikely the alarm will get much use.

19. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Having a closer look, nasty crack in dial plate but it will stay together, the little hood seems to be a fit, a little tight, but close enough for the cabinet maker to use I think.

It is going to be an attractive little clock when finished. They seem to sell for a lot retail.

20. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for that, an interesting arrangement. I have only seen the usual huygens loop system.
    I think "alarm" when these clocks were made may have been for a room somewhat larger than we have today. the thought of one of those bells going off at full tilt at 5.30 in the morning would be too much for me- unless it was in the house next door perhaps!!!
    David

21. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it is a below stairs clock to wake the staff. (below stairs is an expression, the staff probably slept in the attic.)

Think large country house rather than usual domestic dwelling though probably lots of people would need to get up at the same time so waking neighbours is possibly not an issue.

22. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Icked up a very nice pair of small brass cased lead weights at the local BHI auction for this last night for £12. Just needed one and sold the other to somebody else there for £10 so got a lovely little weight for £2. That will deal with the time side, I think I will use a 30 hour lead doughnut as a counterweight.

I think another lead doughnut would be fine for the alarm, I just need a smaller weight as a counter to that.

23. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The man is a magician.

Just got the case back from the cabinet maker.

DSC_0423.JPG DSC_0424.JPG

24. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    very nice work!

Rob

25. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

He is a really clever guy, he brought back an ebonised case I gave him for somebody else that was a complete wreck and now it is just so beautiful it is a work of art.

26. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    He did a good job Nick, looks good. Not over restored, just bringing it back to the stage it needs to be.

27. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's good isn't it? You wouldn't know it only had the hood originally, the bracket is a perfect match, and the pillars on the door are new too.

28. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    It would have fooled me I think :D But I know from several clocks I bought in Greath Britain there are some very good "restorers"over there!

29. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For someone called "novicetimekeeper" you seem to be raking-in quite a few treasures! ;)

Nice find, and congrats on finding an extremely good cabinetmaker! Should make a wonderful wall clock.

30. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The moniker was chosen because I came here to learn about pocket watches. I never expected to find people who were passionate about English longcase, my first love.

However as my tag line says, I still have lots to learn. Sadly I have limited funds and now even more limited space. I am lucky enough to have some very nice clocks though, and fortunately through the local BHI I have found some excellent contacts to look after them.

31. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Henry finally found a place on a wall, just needs weights and a pendulum

61687734_10155831896197126_5893139727946612736_n.jpg

musicguy likes this.
  32. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    does this help?

61687734_10155831896197126_5893139727946612736_n.jpg

gleber likes this.
  33. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I took four pictures down to put this and the Voyce case up. Another clock coming next week will need yet more pictures down, We are having a major picture rehanging session next.

34. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks nice, but odd without the weights and pendulum. I do hope we get to see it complete.

Nice work Bruce, do you do house calls? I could use that kind of space making.

Tom

35. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although it came back from the cabinet maker nearly 18 months ago it has a modification required, so I'm not sure I can get a pendulum on yet, but I'll get a bit of rope a weight and counterweight on.

36. Carl in France

Carl in France Registered User

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Hautes Pyrénées, sometimes Wales.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A very nice clock. It will be smashing when complete and running on the wall.

I used to live in Blandford too so a clock like this would have a special place in a collection, now in France so I try to find local marked dials from the area I now live.

I wonder where his workshop was?

37. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's my second Blandford clock, the other by Thomas Baker is 100 years earlier. No idea where either worked. Probably Henry could be traced, though he died before the first census.

38. Carl in France

Carl in France Registered User

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Hautes Pyrénées, sometimes Wales.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice though keeping history local. So many scatter to the wind.

39. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have seven Dorset clocks, one made with two miles of our house.

40. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    For such a small town, although with so many pubs, it is odd to meet here others who have lived there - although with the army base there were quite a few who cycled though over time... I was there in the 1990s, now in Australia.

41. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To stop the poor thing looking so isolated up there I have made up a couple of short clock ropes. Ran out of S hooks so can't fit them both, and I'm not sure it takes a royal pendulum, will need to do a tooth count. However I think it looks happier now!

DSC_1307.JPG

gleber likes this.
  42. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    now with correct number of weights!

DSC_1309.JPG