Henry Miller Southington Conn

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Robert Ryan, May 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Ryan

Robert Ryan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    I've had this clock for some time. I reproduced the door, and the top pieces except for the splat. Cannot find anything regarding the maker listed on the label. It appears that the name Henry Miller was pasted over the label.

The wood movement has problems on both the strike and time train. Missing or chipped gear teeth. Looking for replacement gears or learning how to repair.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the maker listed on the label? Thank you.

~Bob

IMG_2956.jpeg IMG_2957.jpeg IMG_2834.jpeg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Henry Miller opened a clock factory in the northern part of Southington about 1830. In 1835 he moved to a different location in Southington and began manufacturing clock dials for the trade. This is based on information in Spittlers and Baileys Clockmakers and Watchmakers of American By Name and By Place. See also below:
    History of the Bolt and Nut Industry of America

The label printer, Joseph Hurlbut, was in business in Hartford with Silas Folsom from 1825 to 1832. Thereafter, he was in business alone in Hartford until ca. 1844, when he settled in Waterbury, CT. (Also from Spittlers and Baileys Clockmakers and Watchmakers of American By Name and By Place.)

Just as a hunch, I would place this clock somewhere between 1832 and 1835.

3. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    That's great information....thanks so much. It keeps time just fine but there is a hitch when winding the time that indicates a chipped or broken tooth. Thanks again.

~Bob

4. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Glad to help in some small way. If you are a member of the NAWCC, you might find more on past issues of the Bulletin, which are available on line to members. It also would be nice to know what name might lurk beneath the overpaste. Perhaps someone recognizes the label.

5. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Indeed...it's got me curious...still sorting out my relationship to clocks.....and my skillset.....with respect to repair & restore.....I am clearly a novice...but very much enjoying things thus far. Thanks again for your assistance. Great site!

6. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #6 Steven Thornberry, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Just to add a bit more The December 1999 Bulletin has a short article on Miller (pp. 832-33), essentially stating what was said above in the link I provided. The author concludes that perhaps all the actual "clockmaking" that Miller did was manufacturing dials. A fair conclusion. However, he also probably sold clocks, thus accounting for his name on the label. The term "clockmaker" was broadly used to indicate not only those who manufactured movements and cases, but also those who simply sold them, perhaps after acquiring movements and cases from other sources. The article shows a half-column and splat clock similar to yours with a somewhat different Miller label, but no mention of an overpaste. The author states that the clock shown in the article contained a movement classified as type 5153, by Williams, Orton, Preston's and Co. Below is a link to the article for those interested; unfortunately, the link can be accessed only by NAWCC members (another reason to join the organization :coolsign:).

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1990/articles/1999/323/323_829.pdf

7. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Once again, thank you Steven. Still curious about the makers name under the Henry A. Miller label...

Looks like joining is a must.....so do you have a career in sales? :)

~B

8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I'm more of a man with a great future behind him. But, if you are tempted to join, here's the place to start. https://nawcc.org/index.php/member-resources/join-us

Lots of resources and benefits, of which the Bulletin is just one, a very important one to be sure. Look around the site.