• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Henry Hart, Goshen Connecticut

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Picked this up back in late January. It appeared to be in overall good condition. What really sold me on this was the glass. It's a painting of what was then called Yale College from College Street in New Haven. There was some paint loss to some of the trees, part of a building and sky. Being that the glass was puttied in, I ship the whole door off to Tom Moberg. Though I was a little nervous, it made it there and back in good shape. I'll add that Tom said he had never seen this glass (scene) before. I've also included a image of a lithograph I found online c.1835 showing a similar angle.

Doing a Bulletin search, I found a Henry Hart & Sons label circa 1830. I assume this clock was pre Sons. The picture of the complete clock was taken before I got the door back. Still haven't had a chance to put it back on. Does anyone have more info on Henry Hart?

IMG_0500.jpg IMG_0499.jpg IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0176.JPG YaleCollege-610x410.jpg

Reactions: Robbie Pridgen

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Picked this up back in late January. It appeared to be in overall good condition. What really sold me on this was the glass. It's a painting of what was then called Yale College from College Street in New Haven. There was some paint loss to some of the trees, part of a building and sky. Being that the glass was puttied in, I ship the whole door off to Tom Moberg. Though I was a little nervous, it made it there and back in good shape. I'll add that Tom said he had never seen this glass (scene) before. I've also included a image of a lithograph I found online c.1835 showing a similar angle.

Doing a Bulletin search, I found a Henry Hart & Sons label circa 1830. I assume this clock was pre Sons. The picture of the complete clock was taken before I got the door back. Still haven't had a chance to put it back on. Does anyone have more info on Henry Hart?

View attachment 586573 View attachment 586574 View attachment 586575 View attachment 586576 View attachment 586577 View attachment 586578
Love it!!!

RM

Reactions: clocks4u

Tom Vaughn

Feb 10, 2018
Country
That's fantastic! Some of us up here in Connecticut would kill for a tablet like that one! nice find!

Reactions: clocks4u

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
That's fantastic! Some of us up here in Connecticut would kill for a tablet like that one! nice find!
Makes me wonder how it ended up out here in Oregon.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Spittler, Spittler, Bailley "Clockmakers and Watchmakers of American by Name and Place" - listed Henry Hart & Son ca 1835 in Goshen. "San" was probably his son William.

Dating clocks by printer labels can be tricky. You need to have three pieces of information: printer's name, street address, and city.

You did not mention the printer information and some of the older Bulletin information may not be correct.

What is the printer's name, address, city to confirm the dating?

Andy Dervan

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Spittler, Spittler, Bailley "Clockmakers and Watchmakers of American by Name and Place" - listed Henry Hart & Son ca 1835 in Goshen. "San" was probably his son William.

Dating clocks by printer labels can be tricky. You need to have three pieces of information: printer's name, street address, and city.

You did not mention the printer information and some of the older Bulletin information may not be correct.

What is the printer's name, address, city to confirm the dating?

Andy Dervan
The label has no mention of son. The printer is listed as P. Canfield, Harford. No mention of address or street. Searching his name, I came up with one post by George Nelson.
P. Canfield, Printer, Hartford

If Hart and Son is c.1835, I assume this is earlier, say 1830-35 range.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
The label has no mention of son. The printer is listed as P. Canfield, Harford. No mention of address or street. Searching his name, I came up with one post by George Nelson.
P. Canfield, Printer, Hartford

If Hart and Son is c.1835, I assume this is earlier, say 1830-35 range.
Actually, I frequently find a printer's credit on a clock label useful in providing a date range for a clock's manufacture. Knowing which other makers they may have supplied labels too may also help to "triangulate" a date.

Given that these firms seemed to be somewhat peripatetic, it is true that the presence of an address may help to narrow the date range. I will add, the same is true of some of the NYC clock assemblers. They seemed to move around lower Manhattan rather frequently. So, when they provide an address on the label, one can frequently narrow down a date rather well.

Getting back to Canfield. There is actually quite a bit in the Bulletin about him. He was a rather prolific supplier of labels to CT clock makers. I especially associate his labels with the wooden works era. See this:

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1970/articles/1977/186/186_70.pdf

Scroll down to pages 71-72. This is a transcription of relevant entries from a 1828 Hartford business directory. Canfield is listed as a printer and a book seller!

Also see this:

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1990/articles/1990/264/264_71.pdf

Scroll down to page 78. Interesting information about Canfield that was written about him in 1896 is transcribed. According to this, he established himself in Hartford in 1814. In 1839, he "disposed" of his plant. It is also reported that he was an abolitionist. That he moved to Rochester, NY in 1842 is significant in that it was a veritable abolitionist hot bed! Take a look.

There's also info in the Bulletin re: Henry Hart and Henry Hart & Son. Dates I found for the latter were "circa 1830". So, was he in business for himself and then his son joined the firm or did they start in business together and then Hart and son parted ways? Wonder if someone out there knows?

You're an NAWCC member. A huge benefit of membership is access to the Bulletin which places nearly 80 years of horological scholarship at your finger tips.

RM

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter A. Nunes

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
There's also info in the Bulletin re: Henry Hart and Henry Hart & Son. Dates I found for the latter were "circa 1830". So, was he in business for himself and then his son joined the firm or did they start in business together and then Hart and son parted ways? Wonder if someone out there knows?

You're an NAWCC member. A huge benefit of membership is access to the Bulletin which places nearly 80 years of horological scholarship at your finger tips.
The Bulletin is actually where clocks4u got the following information:

Doing a Bulletin search, I found a Henry Hart & Sons label circa 1830. I assume this clock was pre Sons.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
The Bulletin is actually where clocks4u got the following information:
Guess I missed that! Please, my apologies to clocks4u if this caused offense.

I do hope, overall, that the rest of the posting might be found to be useful, informative and valid as opposed to belaboring my minor error which really doesn't add constructively to the conversation.

RM

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country

I do hope, overall, that the rest of the posting might be found to be useful, informative and valid as opposed to belaboring my minor error which really doesn't add constructively to the conversation.

RM
I doubt any offense was caused. Happens to us all. The question about which came first, Hart or Hart & Son is interesting and might repay further research. I would have thought Hart & Son would have been later. Spittlers and Bailey seem to lean in that direction also, but that's only where the research begins.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
There is more unpublished information on Hartford printers. Here is information on Canfield

P. Canfield
Year Printer Occupation Printer's Name Home address Office Address Original Directory Page
1825 Canfield, P. Printer 3 Central Row, upstairs 11
1828 Canfield, Philomen Printer 32 Front & 131 State 21
1838 Canfield & Robbins (book sellers only) 180 Main Street 15
1838 Canfield & Robbins (book sellers only) Canfield, Philomen 8 Pearl Street 180 Main Street 15
1838 Canfield & Robbins (book sellers only) Robbins, Gurdon Jr. 18 Temple Street 180 Main Street 37
1839 Canfield, Philemon (not listed as printer) 8 Pearl Street 15
1840 Canfield, Philemon (not listed as printer) 8 Pearl Street 17
1841 Canfield, Philemon (book seller only) 8 Pearl Street 17
1842-1849 Not Listed
1850 Canfield, Philomen 43 Pleasant Street 38
1851 Canfield, Philemon 43 Pleasant Street 34
1852 Canfield, Philemon Printer 43 Pleasant Street 26-1/2 State St. 48
1853 Canfield, Philemon (not listed as printer) 43 Pleasant Street 50
1854-1860 Not Listed

I searched Cog Counters Journals and I only found 1 reference Journal No. 22, 1984, page 73 that noted H. Hart & Son, Henry Hart & Son - Goshen Conn

It was preliminary work by Don Slaght collecting information on Hartford Printers.

Andy Dervan

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region

RM
No offense taken. I actually search the Bulletin often. I have close to a full set (singles and bound) and prefer to thumb through those after I get a hit on a search vs using the online copies. That said, there's not a ton of info on Henry Hart. Like Steven said above, I just assumed & Son would be after. Not sure I can pin a firm date with the information I have now., so circa 1830 is probably a fair estimate.....I read the 1896 Connecticut Quarterly you linked. He definitely had an interesting life. Can't say I have ever heard the name Philemon before. Wonder if he went by Phil? LOL

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
No offense taken. I actually search the Bulletin often. I have close to a full set (singles and bound) and prefer to thumb through those after I get a hit on a search vs using the online copies. That said, there's not a ton of info on Henry Hart. Like Steven said above, I just assumed & Son would be after. Not sure I can pin a firm date with the information I have now., so circa 1830 is probably a fair estimate.....I read the 1896 Connecticut Quarterly you linked. He definitely had an interesting life. Can't say I have ever heard the name Philemon before. Wonder if he went by Phil? LOL
Excellent.

When I first started collecting, now > 30 years ago, Foster Campos (that Foster Campos) tipped me off to a family that was resolving the estate of their parents. Their dad was one of the early members of the NAWCC and an active clock collector. They wanted to get rid of his basically complete set of Bulletins (up to that point). Their asking price: just haul 'em away! Needless to say, I jumped at the chance. Best thing I ever did! Honestly, I don't use the hard copies much anymore, depending mostly upon the on-line versions. Sometimes I do dig them out as some pix in the "virtual" copies of early Bulletins are hard to see and are a bit better in the hard copy.

By the way, I got to buy from the same estate a wonderful Stennis banjo from the family that was purchased from Stennis himself and a Howard & Davis "square bottom" #5. When I was picking up the Bulletins, I expressed interest in those 2 clocks. I was told at that time oh no, family is keeping all of them. However, none of the family lived locally so all of the clocks would need to be professionally packed and moved. When they realized how much that would cost, they decided to pare down the clocks they decided to keep (included an incredible Stennis girandole I liked, too).

But I digress.

Another source of info on ww clocks is the Cog Counter's Journal. I find it tough to search. Might be worthwhile for you to considering joining the Cog Counters. I think let my membership lapse.

Enjoy your great clock!

RM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-