Henry Delolme Marine Chronometer

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by adricube, Dec 7, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. adricube

adricube New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    #1 adricube, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    hello,
    I'm french and I just discover the forum.
    So please forgive my mistakes !
    I want to present here my marine Chronometer that is just coming back from reparation.
    Please if you have more information about the horologist henry delolme i would be very interested !

I inherited this two-day marine chronometer, circa 1850, a few years ago ; here are the "before" pictures :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to googl i find his "brother" :

http://www.benwrightclocks.co.uk/clock.php?i=185

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although the box was very damaged, the movement worked very well (good accuracy, good power reserve)

So I decided to do something for him.

Firts, what about Henry Delolme ?
    Information are coming from here : https://watch-wiki.org/index.php?title=Delolme,_Henry
    Henry (John Charles Henry) Delolme was born in 1799 in Brünswick, Germany.
    It is the youngest son of Antoine Nicolas Delolme (1759-1852), watchmaker of the court, himself son and grandson of clockmaker.

Henry settles in London (48 Rathbone Place, Oxford Street), we do not know when ...
    He married on January 9, 1829 Jane Amelia Labarthe at St Pancras Church. They will have 6 children between 1829 and 1841, of which the 4th, Charles John (1837) will also watchmaker

He mainly realizes pocket watches on the basis of Swiss calibres and marine chronometers.

At the World Exhibition in London in 1851 he presented:
    - 7 gold watches;
    - 2 marine chronometers with isochronous pendular springs (?);
    - but also a model of stethoscope (?).
    Catalogue here : http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6207823m (p. 85 n°19)

Among his pupils, a certain Wilhelm Brocking who will also realize navy chronometers.

He died in 1890, at the age of 91.

2. adricube

adricube New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    And here are the picftures "after" repair :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    I love the dial, and you have done a great job on the restoration, case looks great now too.

4. adricube

adricube New Member

Dec 7, 2016
  5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator

Jan 15, 2004
    I have moved this thread to the Chronometers forum for additional comments.

6. adricube

adricube New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    ok ! I apologize for the wrong section ...

7. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Adricube,
    Very nice restoration of the box. I have done several restorations on boxes and can see that yours was done very well. The shock absorbers on the tub and gimbal point to Parkinson & Frodsham as the source of the movement. I say this not as an expert but as one who has looked at a lot of P&F photos and have seen this before. I own an Eggert & Son that has similar shock absorbers and Eggert was a distributor in the United States for P&F.
    Paul