Henri Marc clock - need to replace washer which holds hands in place

NigelW

Jan 2, 2015
London and Kent
Country
One of the problems of being a largely self-taught clock restorer is that you have to learn more by making mistakes that if you were learning at the feet of an established master.

A mistake I have now made more then once is not to secure the taper pin holding the hands in place sufficiently tightly. This has now bitten me again. When resetting the hands of my Henri Marc I noticed that both the pin and the washer behind it were missing and there was no sign of them on the mantelpiece or the hearth below which in any event would have been hoovered two days ago by our cleaner.

I now need to make a new washer, which will be good practice on the lathe, but I can't remember exactly what the original one looked like or was made of. Should I use steel, then blacken it to match the hands, or brass? Unfortunately I don't have any clear photos of the clock before the mishap.

henry marc clock 1.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
yes... lay in a small supply of washers and pins from timesavers. you’ll use ‘em.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Two of my French clocks have flat brass washers, the other 2 have domed steel washer. I guess you can pick what you like. When there is little space between the minute hand and the hole for the pin a flat washer will be easier to fit. These washers are tiny and rather thin. I doubt that the Timesavers 100 pack will have these sizes. Best to make one (or several) yourself.

Uhralt

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i’ve flattened many a domed washer in my vise... and also thinned them using 600/2000 wet/dry sandpaper. one size does not fit all. :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
To keep the pin in place you can 'scarify' it by turning it in any type drill or pin vise.
While turning the pin, pinch a folded piece of about 150 sandpaper firmly against it's surface, just for a second. Long ago some smaller tapered pins actually came this way. It makes a big difference in whether they stay or go.

Did you try the ole vacuum cleaner & stocking method? This is where you cover the open pipe with a piece of stocking or nylon mesh curtain material and give it a go. Make sure you go out for at least 10 feet in all possible directions. :)

Willie X

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
This is where you cover the open pipe with a piece of stocking or nylon mesh curtain material and give it a go.
Curtain material? You'll find a good supply of material in your wife's undies drawer. We won't tell :D

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Timesavers, domed hand washer, black, (also in brass), #23786 100 in pack, you may need that many. :D
yes... lay in a small supply of washers and pins from timesavers. you’ll use ‘em.

Nigel,

As you are in the UK I suggest you buy from Meadows & Passmore or one of the other British supply houses. But you could just go to your local clock repairman - he will have washers and pins in plenty and might just give you some.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evocatas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre