Henri Hauser S.A. Pivot polisher info needed

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by jhe.1973, Jun 21, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Everyone,

I just picked up this pivot burnisher at the NAWCC National this last week and could some help if anyone knows anything about this machine:

1.jpg

Here are the only identification tags:

2.JPG

This is probably where the tag that had the model number was:

3.jpg

It is mostly there and in great condition needing minimal detailing, although it doesn’t have the burnishing wheel.

Anyone have manuals or other literature?

Thanks in advance.

2. Moebius

Moebius Registered User

Jan 3, 2009
    Region Flag:
  3. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Moebius,

After posting here, I contacted Tony at www.lathes.co.uk because he had information listed on the Hauser machines. In discussion he mentioned that he had no photos so I sent him mine.

As I figured out where the extra parts that came w/my machine went, I took more shots & sent those too.

He added the link you have above with additional information and my photos so it literally is the same machine.

So, now I have manuals etc. on their way and all is right with the world. :whistle:

4. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead 'cuz I had not run across any burnishing wheels for this machine. Not reasonably priced anyway.

So I decided to make my own. Should be finished this week or next. Here are the carbide blanks awaiting finishing to the bores:

1.JPG

This shows that I adapted my toolpost grinder to my tool & cutter grinder so I can get the needed wheel speed. Once I make new pulleys for the T&G grinder I won't have to do this:

2.JPG

1.JPG 2.JPG

measuretwice likes this.
  5. Barry Creed

Barry Creed Registered User

Feb 12, 2016
    Clock and watch maker.
    South East Kent UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello jhe.1973
    I have acquired a Hauser pivot polisher (model unknown) in need of burnishing wheels. I have wheel spindle which obviously is a great help. Like yourself the wheels that I have located are far too expensive. The wheel bore is 20mm. Can you help with either supply or a suggestion as to where I might be able to find some wheels? I will try to add photos but this is my first post and not completely computer literate.
    regards Barry.
    Photos to follow.

6. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah right!

Now (unless I have more troubles) I should be finished this next week or the next .......... or the week after that.

Unless I have more troubles.

Then it should be the subsequent week provided that it doesn't drag into the week that follows that one.

:whistle:

Seriously though, I now have four wheels completely finished so all of my methods and tooling are validated. Therefore, I should have no more surprises.

I hope!

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your inquiry!

In the literature I received from www.lathes.co.uk I could not find any Hauser spindle that has a 20 mm diameter stub for the wheel. I did find that the model 191 machine has a 20 mm diameter flange that the wheel butts up against.

Here are two versions of the 191 machine (probably different years):

DSC_1557.JPG

And likely the newer version:

DSC_1556.JPG

Here are the specs for the Model 191 and the 241 spindles that I am referencing:

DSC_1558.JPG

If yours is a 191, then what I gather from the information is that the recommended maximum wheel width is .178 inch.

The narrow wheels that I will have available soon are .146 and .151 inch wide so one should work on the 191 model.

I hope this is of help to you. Photos will be a big help to identify your machine.

DSC_1557.JPG DSC_1556.JPG DSC_1558.JPG

measuretwice likes this.
  7. Barry Creed

Feb 12, 2016
    Clock and watch maker.
    South East Kent UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    measuretwice likes this.
  8. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Barry,

It looks like yours is a 191 model.

In this photo of yours, I have the red arrow pointing to the 10 mm stub that is to locate the burnishing or grinding wheel. My burnishing wheels will also fit this stub:

1.JPG

The hub you have the calipers on I suspect is the hub for a ceramic grinding wheel as shown in this blueprint from 1954:

Ceramic wheel2.jpg

The print specifies brass, but another supplier possibly made theirs w/steel. It is not used with burnishing wheels.

Here are the wheels I have so far just before finish grinding the ODs and cutting faces:

Stiched.JPG

Have you checked out Diametal in Switzerland? One of their catalogs shows a jacot drum. Here is a photo from their web site:

Diametal Burnishing Tools.jpg

If you haven't already checked out http://www.lathes.co.uk/hauserpivotpolishers/ I strongly recommend it. Tony has manual reprints for sale and they are excellent copies. They have a lot of information regarding spindle and wheel speeds and photos of accessories.

It looks as if you might be missing the spindle for your tailstock (it holds the jacot drum). I have not had mine out yet so I do not know how complicated it is.

1.JPG Ceramic wheel2.jpg Diametal Burnishing Tools.jpg Stiched.JPG

measuretwice likes this.
  9. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OOPS! I forgot to welcome you to the forum Barry!

Hope to see you here often, especially as you get your Hauser up and running!

10. Barry Creed

Feb 12, 2016
    Clock and watch maker.
    South East Kent UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the extra info. I am in touch with Tony now and again and it is without doubt that his site is one of the best with regard to machinery. I have a tail stock thingy which I have attached. Your continued advice is much appreciated.
    Barry. DSC05989.jpg DSC05990.jpg DSC05991.jpg DSC05992.jpg

11. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Happy to be able to help. Thank you for posting such good photos. I am saving them in my Hauser info in case a need arises.

Here are a couple of views of my tailstock:

DSC_0822b2.JPG

DSC_1027a.JPG

Mine has a setscrewed knob in place of the knurled end to your spindle. The device that fits between this knob and the casting is a fine adjustment to easily position the spindle. Is there anything like this in the parts w/your machine?

I do not know what the small black yoke (?) is in place of the jacot drum. Your machine is listed for specifically for the watchmaking field and the specs show it for the tiniest of pivots. This part is likely related to that purpose.

I agree that Tony's site is among the best, if not THE best. He really is doing a great service for everyone interested in older machinery.

12. Barry Creed

Feb 12, 2016
    Clock and watch maker.
    South East Kent UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the continued help. Diametal are little too rich for my blood but I will continue to troll the net and I am sure something will turn up eventually, even if I have to go Chinese! A site which you might find of interest if you are not already aware of them is Memoria Technica, based in Seattle.
    All the best Barry.

13. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info for the Memoria site. I was unaware of it & it sure looks interesting. Another keeper!

I am on the road for a few days so I do not have photos of the first 6 burnishing wheels that are finished. I intend to sell a few of each style at about half of what Diametal charges.

Because of the time involved, this is not much of a money maker but it will cover the material & tooling costs.

I needed wheels for my machine and at least I will end up with them and the tooling to resharpen when needed.

14. Barry Creed

Feb 12, 2016
    Clock and watch maker.
    South East Kent UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jhe.1973,
    see ebay item number; 131729026387 The seller also has other pivot polisher items, might be of interest. It's probably clocser to you than me.
    Regards Barry.

15. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hi Barry,

Thanks very much for the notice of this auction. I will keep an eye on it as long as I can because it is the same style of spindle that my machine has. We will be on the train heading for home when it closes, so I will not be able to bid near the end.

:thumb:

16. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Barry,

Sorry that it has been so long since I was last here.

I would like to profusely thank you for mentioning the eBay auction as I was able to win the spindle quite reasonably.

I had finished six of my burnishing wheels before the road trip I mentioned:

DSC_1563a.JPG

Two of them are already gone.

I had received assistance from a person who has, and uses, one of these machines. I gave him a special discount for his help and I would like to offer the same to you.

I will send you a private message so please check your inbox on this forum so we can discuss this.

17. measuretwice

measuretwice New Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #17 measuretwice, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Another Hauser owner here. Old thread but I thought to keep the Hauser Polishers together. Jim you know me as Mike (Mcgyver) from machining forums and I'd thought I'd post some pics of mine. Hopefully more will get posted here, as this thread seems like one of the rare places on the net these machines appear

Here's mine as it arrived, that's in the garage shop - bigger and dirty stuff

ud5gdgT.jpg

Everything was stripped and cleaned and installed in my basement shop - small and clean stuff. The spindle like everything Hauser is just so well made. Nicest machines I've had apart.

3sHz51v.jpg

7e2VrKz.jpg

I use a VFD to power it. I mounted the VFD on a 3/4" post fixed to bench and close by, but I did wire the original on/off control into the VFD. The VFD is a cheapo and I 3D printed with shroud to cover the wire connections. Pieces of AL bolt to the VFD heat sink, and the shroud to them. Built into the shroud are cable clamps - neat stuff you can do with 3D printing.

32nTz38.jpg

The original green belts are going to be replaced. They are sold old and stiff the motor has a hard time turning them. Need to get some nice soft 1/4" or 6mm urethane.

This machine came with 1 jacot wheel....but the tool gods smiled and a carbide set came up on a machining forum, no one had much interest and few knew what they were and I ended up buying them for a good price. They just arrived and I think must be Hauser OEM's as they fit perfectly! What are the odds of set like that popping up on non horology forum within weeks of buy a machine without any? Toolaholic serendipity; the universe provided from its abundance :D

CjF5IRM.jpg

One day I'll paint it, but they are a lot of work to paint and I'm trying not to add to the project pile for the moment. I'll sneak in a shot of my Hauser M1 I painted last year, many weekends of work!

uvxKHfs.jpg

D.th.munroe likes this.