Helvitia Mens sub-dial automatic wind wristwatch..15 jewels full working order..Help please me to identify and put a date to movement which is 80CAL

Screwloose

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2020
UK England South Yorkshire
Country
Region
Hello,
Been a while since I've been logged in and posted on the forums. Apologies in advance for any errors at time of posting... I'm hoping you can help me, I'm struggling to pull anything up with a Helvitia sub-dial watch I have. Its CAL is 80C it's case reference is 4920975. Fully running 15 jewels automatic wind wristwatch. From my research WW2 dates and references to this period are mentioned and referred to however the CAL is often 83C not 80C...is mine an earlier model?
Thanks in Advance for taking the time to Answer and help me.. Appreciated.
Lola Parkinson

IMG_20211130_202638409.jpg IMG_20211119_202014320_HDR.jpg IMG_20211119_201951273_HDR.jpg

Screwloose

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2020
Country
Region
Hello,
Been a while since I've been logged in and posted on the forums. Apologies in advance for any errors at time of posting... I'm hoping you can help me, I'm struggling to pull anything up with a Helvitia sub-dial watch I have. Its CAL is 80C it's case reference is 4920975. Fully running 15 jewels automatic wind wristwatch. From my research WW2 dates and references to this period are mentioned and referred to however the CAL is often 83C not 80C...is mine an earlier model?
Thanks in Advance for taking the time to Answer and help me.. Appreciated.
Lola Parkinson

View attachment 683396 View attachment 683397 View attachment 683398
Again 10 steps Infront of myself..That's why I do like to ask here, I know I always get directed to a specific starting point to start my research, and clear signposts to start my reading. It is hard to find a suitable starting point researching a wristwatch based upon a movement ref and very little background information around the period time of production...

Found where i should be, thanks Robert Stokes for Lt.Monroes Thread "Time Capsule" reading...Ill check back soon, with the answers I'm looking for hopefully!

Last edited:

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
Again 10 steps Infront of myself..That's why I do like to ask here, I know I always get directed to a specific starting point to start my research, and clear signposts to start my reading. It is hard to find a suitable starting point researching a wristwatch based upon a movement ref and very little background information around the period time of production...

Found where i should be, thanks Robert Stokes for Lt.Monroes Thread "Time Capsule" reading...Ill check back soon, with the answers I'm looking for hopefully!

I don’t think that’s an automatic wind watch. There is no rotor. The dial says antimagnetic. Not the same thing. Peter

Screwloose

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2020
Country
Region
I don’t think that’s an automatic wind watch. There is no rotor. The dial says antimagnetic. Not the same thing. Peter
Thanks Peter...I definitely have to wind it manually to start it running, can you please explain further?.. Apologies for my novice, knowledge around terminology I do need to get the basics first..I do know some information around what anti-magnetic refers to, would this alter how the watch is referenced to? Even though it is an automatic wind, to start the watch running does it get classified as another movement motion due to the anti-magnetic element? Apologies if I've not clearly explained myself..? I will pop a short video on showing the watch stationary, then wound to run ?..

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
Thanks Peter...I definitely have to wind it manually to start it running, can you please explain further?.. Apologies for my novice, knowledge around terminology I do need to get the basics first..I do know some information around what anti-magnetic refers to, would this alter how the watch is referenced to? Even though it is an automatic wind, to start the watch running does it get classified as another movement motion due to the anti-magnetic element? Apologies if I've not clearly explained myself..? I will pop a short video on showing the watch stationary, then wound to run ?..
Antimagnetic means it is resistant to magnetic fields which would stop a non antimagnetic watch. Automatic wind means it would wind itself through the motion of your arm while you are wearing it. If you didn’t wear it and it just laid on the dresser it would soon stop. Then you would need to manually wind it again which is what you need to do to your watch to keep it running.

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
Antimagnetic means it is resistant to magnetic fields which would stop a non antimagnetic watch. Automatic wind means it would wind itself through the motion of your arm while you are wearing it. If you didn’t wear it and it just laid on the dresser it would soon stop. Then you would need to manually wind it again which is what you need to do to your watch to keep it running.
A dictionary or Google search would help give the explanation you need.

Screwloose

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2020
Country
Region
A dictionary or Google search would help give the explanation you need.
Thankyou for the advice, appreciated. However I'm certain I've wound this watch to start it going tonight..I suppose because I don't wear the watches I mainly own, due to them obviously being men's I've not noticed the clear difference, as if probably a man would notice by wearing it..
I will use Google later, as you have suggested but while your here, id prefer to ask you a couple more questions, with answers which obviously are far more reliable, if that's ok?..I just wondered why I had to initially wind to start it going...I will read further already I'm learning so much. I'm sure other members are also reading and learning too, but perhaps like in a school classroom darnt ask the daft questions, or silly questions..I want to learn, I'm here to learn. Unfortunately when you gain such expertise in an field or area, you become a teacher to the rest, like it or not..I value your input. Google dosnt quiet respond the same.
Thankyou

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Here's a link to the Helvetia caliber 80C write-up found on Dr. Ranfft's site which may be of some help:

Helvetia 80C

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
The caliber 80C has for origin the caliber 80 produced in 1929, it is thus the logical continuation and was produced at the end of the 40s until the 60s with some improvements.

Amicalement GG

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
.I just wondered why I had to initially wind to start it going.
You need to wind it to get it going because, as already mentioned above, this is not an automatic watch (i.e. one powered by the movement of the wearer). You have an ordinary manually wound wristwatch which needs winding every day.

By the way, if you are researching the name Helvetia, it is best to ensure that you have the spelling correct. In both the title and your first post your refer to 'Helvitia' which may at times be enough to confuse your internet search, or at least reduce the number of useful references you find.

JTD

Carlos Fandango

Apr 18, 2019
Country
Hello, the Helvetia 80C was introduced in the mid 1940s and the serial number on your watch dates it to 1955.

It is a manual wind watch as previously said. You need to wind it every day.

Have a look at my site here for lots more information on Helvetia.

https://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk

Carlos Fandango

Apr 18, 2019
Country
Hi,
The caliber 80C has for origin the caliber 80 produced in 1929, it is thus the logical continuation and was produced at the end of the 40s until the 60s with some improvements.

Amicalement GG
Hello, could you please let me know where you found this information?

I have been researching Helvetia for a few years and I know the cal 81 was introduced in 1929 but have not actually found a cal 80 until the cal 80C in the mid 1940s.

The cal 80C and 800C are 11.5 ligne movements and in theory it makes sense for the 80 to come in in 1929 as the 11.5 ligne version of the cal 81 10.5 ligne.

The problem is I have never found one or a picture or advert or anything.

Any information you have would be gratefully received.

Thanks. Carl.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Remarks
different bridge shapes (cf. 82C)
late samples with Kif-Duofix combined settings for escapement wheel

family/generations:
80: 11.5''', sub second
820: 10.5''', sub second
800: 11.5''', sweep second
820: 10.5''', sweep second
800: 11.5''', sweep second, plane base plate
suffix C: two screws for crown wheel

This is on Dr Ranfft's site linked above in this post https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/helvit...o-movement-which-is-80cal.184233/post-1505358.
As you can see by the data on that page. All of these were in production or had been produced before and up to 1955.

Carlos Fandango

Apr 18, 2019
Country
Thanks. Ranfft doesn't have all of the information unfortunately.

Cal 800 have c and d versions and 820 b, c, and d for instance. 820 is only ever in sweep seconds.

The information about the 80 is correct for the 80C version but I have never seen any information about an 80 version in 1929 when the 81 was introduced. Logically you'd think there should be but logic doesn't always come into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angelogia
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner