helvetia query

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Britannicus, Nov 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Britannicus

Britannicus Registered User

Apr 26, 2016
    IT consultant
    Derby UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi there - looking for a bit of background - I picked up a nice condition Helvetia hunter- but there are a few things about it that I don't recognise. I'm not an expert so could do with as much info as I can get. Didn't cost me much so is I've got a dud well it doesn't really hurt, bu tI like to know about my watches

1/ I don't recognise the logo on the face - the three pronged thing looks different than any other helvetia I've seen and mikrolisk doesn't list it

2/ movement looks very clean and "modern" - no serial number but I note the jewel setting on the balance looks like incabloc,but no legend to confirm that so I fugure post mid 1930's. The crown and winding wheels don't have the word helvetia on them - unlike my other 2

3/ the movement finish looks unusual - sort of "coppery"

4/ No serial number to help

I'm guessing 1970's, but figure I could be 30 years out either way - can anyone help ?

helvet2.jpg helvet1.jpg helvet2.jpg

2. PJQL

PJQL Registered User

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Britannicus,

Looks suspiciously like a Unitas movement....is that 6431 under the balance wheel?
    If so...I'd go for c1970 on...

Regards

Piers

PS...Rams fan :)

3. Britannicus

Britannicus Registered User

Apr 26, 2016
    IT consultant
    Derby UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Britannicus, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Looks like 6437 to me but could well be 6431 - I figured around 1970, but wondered as there's so little to go by from the design of thecase or face.

checked these calibre numbers on ranfft pink pages - plates look rather different to me.

So I do from time to time show an interest in the Rams - pride park is only about 3 miles from my house :)

PJQL likes this.
  4. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I don't have anything to offer with regard to the movement ... but I suggest that the coppery colour of the movement plates is exactly that - additional copper in the zinc/copper alloy which is brass.

5. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: