Helvetia Automatic 32 Jewels

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by NickW27, Aug 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NickW27

NickW27 Registered User

Aug 19, 2019
    Male
    Plymouth, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently bought an Helvetia Automatic 32 Jewels wristwatch. When it arrived I found that it was fitted with an H847 (AS140) movement and marked "25 Jewels". As the rotor was rubbing slightly I thought that the rotor had been changed but, looking on a website, I saw that these movements were only fitted with 25 jewels. I assumed that the movement had been changed so I have returned it and am waiting for a refund.
    In the meantime, I contacted the seller of another, similar watch to check on the movement. He replied to say that his watch also had this 25 jewel movement fitted.
    Does anyone know what is going on? Were Helvetia trying to "pull a fast one" after all it would be several years before anyone found out?

Helvetia Back 25 Jewels.jpg Helvetia Face 32 Jewels.jpg

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't say I know anything in particular about these, but aside from the 'false advertising' I'd say that you have/had a very nice watch. And any number of jewels above 25 would be of no consequence anyway regarding the quality of the movement.

You might find some information here: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Helvetia 847 (AS 1740)

3. NickW27

NickW27 Registered User

Aug 19, 2019
    Male
    Plymouth, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dave, Yes, I think that I have returned a very nice watch but I'd be uneasy about knowing that it didn't have the number of jewels as stated on the face. The seller has re-listed the watch with no reference to the number of jewels. If I could get a definitive answer as to why there is a discrepancy I might be tempted to have another go. Apart from slight rubbing of the rotor it appeared to be a nice watch. The scrapes can be seen in the photo.

4. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don’t like different jewel number on dial and movement in a fairly modern Swiss watch (19th Century watches are a whole different story). I always smell a ‚frankenwatch’ in such cases. Maybe one day we’ll find out there indeed was a 32j Helvetia.

It’s like my Elgin with 23j on dial and a 19j movement. Obviously a legit Elgin movement, only lower grade replacement...

5. NickW27

NickW27 Registered User

Aug 19, 2019
    Male
    Plymouth, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It seems strange that there should be 2 identical watches for sale at the same time.