Help! Wooden works problem

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by sportmodel1442004, Aug 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sportmodel1442004

sportmodel1442004 Registered User

Nov 14, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi guys,
    Kevin, a newbie, here. I have a 1826 Chauncey Boardman looking glass clock, and I have a problem. When I received the clock, I noticed the minute hand was broken. More specifically, the brass nib (unsure of the correct term) has sheared off the minute spindle. Is there any way to fix this? If not, where can I get a replacement? I'll post a pic as soon as I can. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I presume you mean minute arbor (as shown here) not minute hand?

View attachment 352601

Do you have the broken piece?

Tom

3. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We really need to see pictures of just what you have. Do you know how it got broken? Two important criteria are the arbor (spindle) must remain straight after the repair, and the repair must not reduce the length of the arbor or the hands may conflict with one another. If no wood was lost at the break you may be able to just glue the pieces back together. Otherwise you may need to replace part of that arbor and splice the two parts together. Do you have a small lathe?

RC

4. sportmodel1442004

sportmodel1442004 Registered User

Nov 14, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi guys. Yes, I have both pieces of the minute arbor (thanks for the correction). The brass piece appears to have been sheared off the wooden portion of the arbor. Unfortunately, I don't have a lathe.

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is it cleanly sheared off, or was it bent and broken with ragged edges? Does the piece fit on straight? Photos would help a lot to make suggestions.

Tom

6. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It isn't easy to describe how to make this repair without seeing the damage and without a lathe a 'proper' repair will be more difficult. The picture below shows a typical wooden center shaft with brass end. As can be seen, the wooden part is reduced in diameter and inserted into the brass end and secured with a pin (seen in the photo). I've never had to repair this part but I can see how it might shear off at the brass/wood interface if someone forced the minute hand backward. There may also be bent wires or broken teeth inside. I would want the movement apart to attempt a repair like this.

Without a lathe, if the two parts will "fit together" you may be able to use a drop of super glue gel on the ends and press them back together. It may help to keep them straight (very important) if the parts are placed in the crouch of an piece of angle metal (put tape on the angle to avoid gluing the part to the angle). Note that on the pinion end of that wooden arbor is a wire that trips the strike on the hour. The brass tip that holds the minute hand needs to be reattached so the flats are properly oriented to the strike trip wire if you expect the clock to strike at "12" straight up. If the end was twisted off it may be difficult to fit the parts back together in alignment.

I think the preferred method would be to make a new center extension and attach the brass tip as it was originally attached but this will be challenging without a lathe.

You may need to farm this job out or locate a donor parts movement, which may not be easy to find. Don Bruno at Torrington Clock Co. http://www.torringtonclockco.com/ can probably make the part you need and attach the brass tip.

RC