• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Help with Wood Movement Tall Case Clock

Ron Roberts

NAWCC Member
May 14, 2019
l do a lot of grandfather clock service, but rarely see a wood movement clock. This clock was purchased in New Hampshire in 1980 and was represented as a Connecticut clock. Please help with ID of maker, period and place of manufacture.

back 2.jpg case 2.jpg face 2.jpg front 2.jpg side A.jpg sideB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
l do a lot of grandfather clock service, but rarely see a wood movement clock. This clock was purchased in New Hampshire in 1980 and was represented as a Connecticut clock. Please help with ID of maker, period and place of manufacture. Also the owner would like an idea of value.

View attachment 658401 View attachment 658402 View attachment 658403 View attachment 658404 View attachment 658405 View attachment 658406
Not sure who made it. If I weren't so lazy, I would pull Phil Morris' ww tall case book off the shelf and go through it. Sorry.

What I absolutely love is that dial with a faux moon phase. Great folk art. I don't believe I've every seen anything like it before.

Sorry, I know that's not what you were looking for. Someone who knows what they are talking about should be by to help.

RM

Tom Vaughn

Feb 10, 2018
Country
Looks like a Roberts family clock, made at Bristol CT from around 1805-1810. Could you post a picture showing the entire back of the movement? Roberts family clocks typically have three back plate posts protruding from the seatboard, which is not pictured. The rest of the clock for what I can see, looks very Roberts family like, especially that Bristol style, lead diamond shaped hand (which is pretty exclusive to Bristol).
The dial looks to be a mid-20th century repaint, but I like the crackle finish as it gives it an old look. The case looks awesome!
If I was to attribute a maker, I would attribute it to Gideon Roberts Jr. A lot of these style movements still exist, and unfortunately little evidence exists to find a guaranteed maker. Some of these movements may have been made by other makers who copied Roberts family movements at the same time, but they are still attributed to this family.

Tom Vaughn

Feb 10, 2018
Country
Definitely a Roberts family clock! Last time I viewed this thread the photos were zoomed in for some reason on my end, so I couldn't see you already photographed them in full- my bad!
Certainly a clock made by one of the Roberts children or their neighbors, but probably by Gideon Roberts Jr.
Elias Roberts tended to sign the back of his dials with a paper label, the print usually fades as the paper darkens so they can sometimes be hard to see. If there is no label, it might just be a clock made by his brother Gideon Jr.
Nice clock!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antiquehunter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-