Help with Urgos clock dating

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Nigel R, Dec 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nigel R

Nigel R New Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Can anyone help dating my new puchase. And what current movement number would be?
    Urgos serial 6379.

20191126_174405.jpg

2. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

Your clock looks Art Deco, a style characterised by its geometric forms. This would date it to the 1930's. Some more pictures would no doubt be useful to confirm this.

Regards.

3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This clock would have been built during the 1930's and not any earlier. It may seem unusual to mainstream historians but German clocks and movements were still being imported to the UK right up to 1939. Your clock's case was made in Britain, going by the substantially 'boxy' appearance compared to the German factory originals. Similar cases will be found with all sorts of German movements housed within, including those from Haller and Gufa. The cases were usually made of Oak or Walnut veneer, housing good quality movements that strike the hour and play the Westminster chime on sonorous rod gongs. Three chain driven weights control the strike, chime, and timekeeping.

Urgos' pre-war movements are not being manufactured anymore and no modern Hermle equivalent would really suit your clock. The closest thing Urgos made in the postwar years would have been the UW03 series and even this is not a total copy of the pre-war movements. Simply put, the older stuff is better in every aspect.

While the clock is clearly patterned after Art Deco faring, the glass window arches bear much similarity to the typical neo-Gothic pointed arch.
    Sadly there is no published documentation on these clocks beyond what little catalog material exists - until recent years, these clocks usually bypassed most historians' notice.

It is a fine clock and would be considered among the better quality pieces of its time. The control lever at '3' silences the chimes and - if it has such - selects alternative chime melodies such as Whittington or St. Michael.

4. Nigel R

Nigel R New Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thankyou for this information it will very helpfull. Having removed the movement it looks like it hasn't been serviced in some time. Pictured. Looking at the pivot points it looks still in good order and will receive some TLC.

20191206_130127.jpg

5. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could you please post a picture of your gong?
    I guess it should look like this.

IMG_1208_001.jpg

6. Nigel R

Nigel R New Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Not a good picture but colour is same as left one.

If anyone can find me a chain 39 LPF x 1.6mm steel finish for Uk purchase. Closest i have found is a brass 39lpf x 1mm

20191213_113945.jpg

7. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the uploaded picture. Yes, the quility is not ideal. I cannot see if there is any stamp on the gong base.
    About the chain. If you have any signs or damage in the cabinet's bottom from the stike weigth drops then most likely you need 38 LPF chain for the strike train and 39 LPF for others. I had the same issue in my early URGOS movement (here is the clock). It is like a manufacturer's defect. I contacted another person in Poland who has the same movement. That person also confirmed the same issue 38 LPF chain for strike and 39 LPF chain for time and chime trains. It sounds weird, never seen it before.

Andrew.

8. Nigel R

Nigel R New Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks I will have a look for the 38lpf chain. Took couple of slightly better pics. Couldn't see any markings.

20191213_192100.jpg 20191213_192014.jpg

9. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks again for pictures. Normally you should have 39 LPF chain. The 38 LPF one is an exception case I described above, which might not suitable for your clock.