• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Help with unknown anniversary clock.

Mikey2011

New User
Mar 2, 2011
Today I came across this clock whilst helping clean out my Grandads garage.
Initially I just thought it was tat until i was told otherwise as it's in fairly rough condition. (we are soon to get it restored now).

The clock to the best of my knowledge was awarded to my great, great uncle after going over to Germany and winning a boxing match; and we believe the clock to be of German origin. Anyway I'm not going to pretend I know anything about clocks, I have no solid knowledge surrounding the subject :=

After research though I believe this to be an anniversary clock of some sort... If i'm not mistaken, the only thing is there doesn't seem to be any markings or serial numbers on the clock so I've got no idea how I date it.

I was wondering if anybody could help shed some light on the origins of the clock or when it was likely to have been made?
I'm assuming it's atleast 4 or 5 generation old somewhere around the early 1900's?

As you can see in the photos it has 5 balls on the pendulum but unfortunately it is currently detached from the clock itself.

Anyway I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about :p
But any help you can share would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :D 85840.jpg 85841.jpg 85842.jpg 85843.jpg

lesbradley

NAWCC Member
Dec 20, 2007
Fairford, England
Visit site
Country
Region
I am sorry to disappoint you, but the clock is far from original. It is a marriage of two clocks.

The movement, pendulum, base and finials are from a company called Jahresuhrenfabrik Badische. They did not actually make the clock, it was almost certainly made for them by Andreas Huber in about 1920.

The dial, hands and pillars come from a Kieninger & Obergfel clock c.1930.

The clock/parts are still of interest to 400 day clock collectors, but should only be sold for parts or spares.

The clock has little value as a complete item.

Last edited:

Mikey2011

New User
Mar 2, 2011
:LesBradley

Ah I am not disappointed, I did not intend to sell it as it has some sentimental value and family history behind it.
I just wondered about the clock itself and the origins surrounding it, so that was a great answer.

Thanks a lot :D

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Are you interested getting it working? Might just need a suspension spring. If you want to have a go at it, we can help.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Mikey,I appreciate Your point with the sentimental value:For the purists this clock is a hodgepodge,but at least the ingrediants are about 70 to 80 years old.And at one time,someone has undertaken the remarkable efford of combining the two clocks and of painting the balls of the pendulum according to the (switched) dial,and the whole thing will look quiet good when polished and working.And allthough we would like to see the nice dial with the original mvmt. it´s not a unike piece of art that was destroyed but a rather recent item of everyday life that someone has modified for unknown reasons to his personal custom.Have it cleaned and run it for fun!Enjoy!
Burkhard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mirela
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-