Help with unique click wheel problem - German Plate Clock

Laurie Kimble

Jan 30, 2011
Looking for some direction as to how to approach repairing this click wheel. I have removed and filed or replaced many American click wheels but this one has me baffled. It is from a Gustav Becker Plate Clock movement. The mainspring had let go and chewed up the teeth on the click wheel. I removed the arbor and intended to remove the click wheel to file the teeth. But the click wheel is different from any I have encountered. It turns freely in the gear and seems to have something like ball bearings in it. I have tried filing the click teeth in place but can't get them sharp enough to hold.

I am concerned that if I remove the click wheel I will destroy the bearings and not be able to get it back together again. Wondering if any of you have worked on one of these and can advise me as to what steps to take.

I have included a stock picture of the movement and pictures of the great wheel.

Thanks for your help. DSCN7115.JPG DSCN7116.JPG DSCN7119.JPG German Plate Clock Mvmt.jpg DSCN7119.JPG

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Looking for some direction as to how to approach repairing this click wheel. I have removed and filed or replaced many American click wheels but this one has me baffled. It is from a Gustav Becker Plate Clock movement. The mainspring had let go and chewed up the teeth on the click wheel. I removed the arbor and intended to remove the click wheel to file the teeth. But the click wheel is different from any I have encountered. It turns freely in the gear and seems to have something like ball bearings in it. I have tried filing the click teeth in place but can't get them sharp enough to hold.

I am concerned that if I remove the click wheel I will destroy the bearings and not be able to get it back together again. Wondering if any of you have worked on one of these and can advise me as to what steps to take.

I have included a stock picture of the movement and pictures of the great wheel.

Thanks for your help. View attachment 491650 View attachment 491649 View attachment 491652 View attachment 491646 View attachment 491651

Laurie
While I have not seen one of these assemblies and do not have it in my hand, It had to be assembled.

If indeed it is a ball bearing as you suspect and I also suspect, It will have a outer and inner race of steel. The steel balls will never make contact with the brass click wheel itself. Thus if you support the click wheel side of the assembly, you should have no issue driving the click wheel out of the inner race. The Click wheel should be supported up close to the teeth. You can machine a support or as I have for such occasions, purchased a cheap set of used Chinese sockets for $2.00 at a flea market. I then select the socket for support fit and grind clearances as required.

Good Luck
Jerry Kieffer

Last edited by a moderator:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It looks like the rivets might hold that whole click assembly in. You'll have to take it apart some way, but I've never seen one like that either.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
The rivets just hold the spring and the click. I'm with Jerry. Wheel should come out of the race fairly easily.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Laurie
You can machine a support or as I have for such occasions, purchased a cheap set of used Chinese sockets for $2.00 at a flea market. I then select the socket for support fit and grind clearances as required.

Good Luck
Jerry Kieffer
Jerry, I never thought I’d see this from you
So, there is a use for cheap tools! Lol.
Will

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Jerry, I never thought I’d see this from you
So, there is a use for cheap tools! Lol.
Will
Will
But not as tools. These were also purchased with sling shot Ammo in mind. My squirrels have a hard heads just like I do.
And you missed my posts (Rare but Occasional) where I explained that some years ago, I purchased a complete set of Harbor Freight Mechanics tools (China/India) in a Chinese storage cabinet. These have been set aside for those who ask to borrow tools and are able to prey the cabinet open. They are always promptly returned only slightly used and rarely asked for anymore. Great buy.

On a serious note, I evaluate tools on their demonstrated capabilities and do use one Chinese tool but not for Horology. A 5x7 floor standing metal band saw that after all screws were replaced and it was properly lubricated, it has provided good service.

Jerry Kieffer

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
I agree with your philosophy on using quality tools, Jerry. Your posts demonstrating the proper use of them is extremely helpful. Due to budget limitations, and the fact that I do my clock work as a hobby, I have always had to use whatever I could afford. Many of the cheap ones have gone by the wayside, but the more expensive ones are still reliable. I am now completely retired and hope to be able to spend more time in the shop. I have acquired a repairman’s complete clock shop, and am now in the process of moving everything to my shop. He was a long-time repairman locally, and has many many parts and a fabulous collection of tools. Three Sherline lathes, a Sherline milling machine, two jewelers lathes, bushing machine, depthing and poising tools, a huge assortment of lathe and milling assessories, and much more. It will take a while to move everything and set it up. I have never used a milling machine, so, after much reading of the manual, and research, I am sure I will have many questions for you and all the other experts here. I am so appreciative of the help I have received on the MB from everyone. Looking forward to learning more.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm jealous, WOW! I wish I were younger! It would help if I were wealthy too :D

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
I'm jealous, WOW! I wish I were younger! It would help if I were wealthy too :D
Well, Shutt, here’s what’s crazy: the gentleman is in poor health, and does not think he is going to be here long and does not want his wife (in poor health also) to have to deal with all his “stuff” when he’s gone. He is giving all this to me just for me moving it away so she won’t have to deal with it. He has a shop, which I plan to finish emptying today, and a moble home full of parts and who knows what. It will take a few days to get it all moved. I offered to buy it all several times, but he simply wants the peace of mind he will have when it is all gone. I’m still walking around with my mouth open wondering how I am so lucky/ blessed.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Wow,
The most valuable thing (by far) that person could give you is his customer list. I inherited a customer list and endorsement once. It's a gift that keeps on giving! I'm assuming you want more business?? Willie X

mauleg

NAWCC Member
Dec 26, 2012
Country
Well, Shutt, here’s what’s crazy: the gentleman is in poor health, and does not think he is going to be here long and does not want his wife (in poor health also) to have to deal with all his “stuff” when he’s gone. He is giving all this to me just for me moving it away so she won’t have to deal with it. He has a shop, which I plan to finish emptying today, and a moble home full of parts and who knows what. It will take a few days to get it all moved. I offered to buy it all several times, but he simply wants the peace of mind he will have when it is all gone. I’m still walking around with my mouth open wondering how I am so lucky/ blessed.
"Gentleman" is the operative term here; I'd even opt for "Saint"; this has to rate as one of the greatest things outside of winning the lottery...

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Yes, he is a gentleman. And, Willie, he has already sent me business. I just got home with a second load of tools and parts. I emptied his shop (two 5x8 enclosed trailer loads), both stacked tight. The only thing left in the clock shop is an antique pedal driven jewelers lathe. All mounted in its original desk. Very old! The fellow is actually more excited than I. He thanked me several times today for taking away a huge stress point in his life. He is totally concerned about his wife and her welfare after he is gone. What a perfect example of a man’s perfect love for his long-time spouse. There is not a selfish bone in his body. I am overwhelmed with his generosity. I will return tomorrow and get the antique lathe and begin loading boxes and boxes of clock parts and clocks. It has at least one more trailer load of these. I’ll post photos of the lathe. I’ve never seen one like it.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I was at an auction once that featured a collection of antique lathes like that. Every one of them brought big bucks. You're fortunate to SEE one of them, let alone own one!!

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
I was at an auction once that featured a collection of antique lathes like that. Every one of them brought big bucks. You're fortunate to SEE one of them, let alone own one!!
Thanks, Shutt. I just got back with the last load of clock related stuff. Another trailer full. That lathe is in the trailer. Very heavy. I’ll unload it tomorrow and post photos. Today’s load was primarily movements, dials and glass. Nothing unusual.

Laurie Kimble

Jan 30, 2011
Thanks everyone for your help. I went ahead and disassembled the wheel and discovered that it is not a bearing after all! The click wheel turned very freely in the great wheel and was peened over the back cover. So once I got it apart I was able to file the teeth and make the click safe again. There was enough material to peen the cover back on and now the movement is very happily running.
Thanks for giving me the push to go ahead and hit it with a hammer! The clock is not mine and it always harder to be adventuresome with someone else's movement.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
I got the last load today, and I started a new thread about the old lathe with photos. It in in the “Horological Tools” section.
(link added by shutterbug)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nito.55
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-