Help with this bandstand clock please

kalaxxu

Oct 12, 2005
Bought a bandstand 400 day clock which is not working. Previous owner told me he put in an unknown spring from another clock.
I got it in beat, but it stops after a few minutes.
Obviously it needs its own spring.
Attaching a pic of the clock's backplate (no idea of the make) - can someone tell me what thickness spring to get.
Also top block to fork distance, bottom of fork to bottom block distance.

A big thank from sunny Malta for any of your help.

Patrick

back plate.jpg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Patrick -

The clock movement was made by Huber and marketed by Badische which is the logo on the back plate. It's close to plate 1091A in the repair guide although the image doesn't have the logo on it. I assume you're talking about the suspension spring. Generally, the wrong size suspension spring won't cause a clock to stop running...mostly it will just not be able to be regulated well. The main spring should be 20x38. The suspension spring appears to be 0.0035". However because the movement is quite old, earlier than 1910, the guide doesn't have any dimensions for the suspension spring. You're going to have to buy the longest you can find and then do some measurements between the top saddle bracket to where the hook should end up on the pendulum...likely a disk pendulum. You'll need to cut something a bit too long and then slowly trim it until you get to the point where the pendulum is about 0.25" or so above the base.

Post a picture of the whole clock when you get a chance!

Kurt

Last edited:

kalaxxu

Oct 12, 2005
Thank you Kurt!

Earlier than 1910 ?! Wow!
But i have some questions. What is 20x38
I can understand 0.0035 inches.

And no, the pendulum is a three ball one.
Will send some more pics of the clock - dismantled as it is - when i get home. OK?

Patrick

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
The dimensions for the main spring are from the book. The "20" means that it is 20mm wide. The "38" means that it is for a 38mm inside diameter barrel. That particular main spring is 0.41mm thick and 1346mm long. I typically can't accurately measure the length, but the other dimensions are easy to check.

Kurt

kalaxxu

Oct 12, 2005
Hi Kurt

Attaching some pics of the clock.
Hope you can give me some further info on it.
Just to clarify, i'm only interested in the suspension spring which is what the previous owner changed.
I need to see this clock working because i always wanted a bandstand clock and now that i have one, i need to change the suspension to the right one.

Thank you for ANY further help/info.

Patrick

IMG_20220816_142805.jpg IMG_20220816_142846.jpg IMG_20220816_142914.jpg IMG_20220816_145121.jpg IMG_20220816_142900.jpg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
That's nice! The dial has a bit more color in the design than most which is nice. I just realized that I gave the wrong plate number...it's not 1091A but 1019A...in the repair guide. The 3-ball pendulum is somewhat rare. Given as number 28A in the repair guide. The guide has 28 with the adjustor above the top ball. I have noted in my guide that John Hubby assigned 28A for the pendulum with the adjustor below the ball as in your case.

Kurt

kalaxxu

Oct 12, 2005
Thanks again Kurt!
So now i know it's pre 1910.
And i need to get a 0.41 mm x 1346 mm spring.
If you by any chance know the other dimensions, ie length from top block to fork and from fork downwards, i'll appreciate that!

Thanks again.

Patrick

Bod

Mar 10, 2019
Country
Thanks again Kurt!
So now i know it's pre 1910.
And i need to get a 0.41 mm x 1346 mm spring.
If you by any chance know the other dimensions, ie length from top block to fork and from fork downwards, i'll appreciate that!

Thanks again.

Patrick
Beware the dimensions you quote are for the main spring, the one wound up by the key. Not the suspension spring you need.
(1346mm is over a yard long.)

Bod.

kalaxxu

Oct 12, 2005
Bod

Thanks your comment, you are right of course.
Going by Kurt's info on what suspension i should get for it.

Thank you all.

Patrick

Last edited:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I provided information on both the main spring and suspension spring. You just said "spring" early on, so I wasn't sure. But above I provided info on the thickness of the suspension spring as 0.0035" based upon the info in the repair guide. For most clocks, especially the post WWII clocks, the repair guide has a scaled drawing of the suspension spring including both blocks and location of the fork. Because your clock is much older, the guide doesn't have that info. So you will have to do some measurements and cut your spring to fit the clock. You'll probably cut it too short, so hopefully you ordered the suspension package containing 3 springs and you can have another go at it. ;)

Kurt

kalaxxu

Oct 12, 2005
I provided information on both the main spring and suspension spring. You just said "spring" early on, so I wasn't sure. But above I provided info on the thickness of the suspension spring as 0.0035" based upon the info in the repair guide. For most clocks, especially the post WWII clocks, the repair guide has a scaled drawing of the suspension spring including both blocks and location of the fork. Because your clock is much older, the guide doesn't have that info. So you will have to do some measurements and cut your spring to fit the clock. You'll probably cut it too short, so hopefully you ordered the suspension package containing 3 springs and you can have another go at it. ;)

Kurt
Yes, i know Kurt and in fact i edited my reply almost right away.
Thank you very much. Both you and Bod were very helpful.
Will buy the suspension you indicated (maybe three) and will come back here with pics of a hopefully working clock.

Thanks again

Patrick

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions