Help With Tavern Clock ID

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by GjP, Sep 26, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GjP

GjP Registered User

Jan 9, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Recently purchased this clock just trying to see if anybody can help with identifying the age and maker. No marks on the works or anywhere on the face or case I can see. There are several names and dates penciled in on the inside of the case. The names seem to be possibly people or workers of the place where the clock may have been. The earliest dates I can ID are 1913 and 1918. There is a 18 but the last 2 digits are missing. The dates go up to 1977. Before I put the door back on I am going to try and write down all the names and dates inside. I've included some pictures of the clock and works. I've also shown a picture of the nails used on the clock. These came from the seat board, they were really loose so I removed them and used screws to fasten the seat board to the case. You can see that this type of nail was used thru out the clock. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Attached Files:

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's an old one. I've seen that movement, but can't recall where.

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It isn't a tavern clock. It is a different type of wall clock introduced in England around the first quarter of the 19th C and is called a variety of names such as East Anglia wall clock, Norwich clock or Norfolk dial clock, all of which are misleading as they were found all over the country though they seem to have been most popular in Norfolk and Suffolk. The movements closely resemble longcase ones and the weights were often rectangular to get as much duration as possible. Timepieces, passing strike and full striking clocks were made.

4. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Haven't a clue, but it's a nice clock of good looking quality is it not, with maintaining power. And is that a deadbeat escapement? anchor looks like it should be can't tell easily with the pic

5. GjP

GjP Registered User

Jan 9, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 GjP, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks for all the info. Yes it's a pretty plain looking clock. It looks like it may be made of pine there are several knots in the wood. It has retaining power but doesn't have a spring . It has a set of pins on the gear which engage to retain power when winding I think. Should have taken a picture of the back of the barrel when I had it apart. I'll include a couple more pictures I have. Maybe you can tell if it's a deadbeat or not. So far it been keeping time very well and beats very strong. It has a couple of new bushings. SAM_0032.jpg SAM_0036 - Copy.jpg SAM_0035.jpg

6. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    From the direction of the teeth on the escapement, it is
    a deadbeat. For the maintaining power, you may not recognize
    the spring as a spring. It is often a heavy piece of metal
    about 1/8" thick that goes part way around.
    It is a plain movement, without even a passing strike.
    It is of high quality and if found in another case would
    be called a regulator that a jeweler might have as his time
    reference, although lacking a second hand.
    Tinker Dwight

7. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Thats a very nice quality clock you have there!! The movement looks indeed a deadbeath with maintaining power, it sure is high quality. Congrats on this buy!!

8. GjP

GjP Registered User

Jan 9, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As All ways thanks for all the good information.
    gjp