Help with silver stamp/mark on watch chain....

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by PJQL, Apr 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PJQL

PJQL Registered User
    Donor

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all,

I have an antique fetter link chain. On each and every link is a stamp...18C.
    However, it appears that it's a brass chain...but plated with...what? Silver? or white rolled gold?
    I've never come across this mark before. Does anyone recognise it or know exactly what it signifies?

One small link surface has been previously ground to expose the bare metal beneath, presumably for an acid test..

It's a really nice chain nonetheless...total weight is 35gms.

Regards

Piers

2. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I have only seen gold chains with every link marked "18K" ... and they have all been high quality and very heavy solid 18 karat gold.

I can only think that your "18C" mark is intended to indicate 18 carat (the European spelling) which also would mean solid gold - in this case white gold. If as you say it is actually a plated brass chain, then the marks are designed to deceive. There is no circumstance under which anyone would mark silver "18C", and also no circumstance I can imagine where anyone would try to assay a plated chain.

3. Accutronica

Accutronica Registered User

Nov 21, 2016
    disabled
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would take it to a pro and have it tested.

Robert

4. PJQL

PJQL Registered User
    Donor

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for that Martin,

It's interesting that the marks seem to me quite...could I say "authentic"?, in that they look 'period'..definitely a far cry from the really poor quality efforts on continental cases!

Piers

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Robert....I will if I get the chance.....but local outfits charge a fortune down here!

Piers.

5. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Piers, it's very easy to conduct Archimedes' test on a chain - it just involves dunking the chain in a beaker of water - and that will be accurate enough to check if it's gold. This web page explains how to go about that. You probably don't have sufficiently accurate equipment to test for silver, but I doubt whether that would be important.

6. PJQL

PJQL Registered User
    Donor

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cheers Martin :)

Piers

7. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Is the chain light in weight? There were some aluminum/aluminium chains sold in the late 1890's before the development of modern methods of producing the metal. I have a reprint of an 1897 Montgomery Ward mail order catalog which has an illustration of a similar chain; the chain was more expensive than gold plate.

8. PJQL

PJQL Registered User
    Donor

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John,

It is lightish.....35 gms....but it's definitely brass beneath the outer layer of...whatever it is.

I'll post a close up of the 'ground' section tomorrow.

Thanks for your input :)

Piers