Help with Regula 34-f movement

Lloyd M

NAWCC Member
Dec 2, 2005
Iowa
Country
Region
I see the newer Regula movements have gone to a pressfit on the strike lifting star on the rear of the movement instead of the setscrew!! Now with the gathering pallet pressed on the front and this outside the rear and the gears overlapping it is impossible to disassemble without pulling one or the other of these. Does anyone know of a puller that will fit under the strike lifter, as mine do not?? icon13.png :confused:
Maybe this is now classified as a throw-away!!

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
yes they have been doing that for quite a while now, dismantle the movement, use a 'crows foot' to support under the plate and a pin punch to drive the pin wheel off.

I usually ream out the pin wheel collet so it just slips over the arbour it rides on, then cross drill the collet, tap and fit a set/grub screw, you can buy 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm set screws with hex sockets, these come in hardened and stainless steel.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The rear strike wheel usually isn't that tight. I usually turn it a bit, as if I am turning it to sync the hammers. A pair of round nose pliers in the holes around the steel finger wheel will do it. Turning it a bit seems to make it pry off much easier. The usual 'two good size screwdriver' method will pry it right off. Tap it back on with the front of the arbor resting on a brass drift. Go carefully, if you bend the shaft, it can be difficult to straighten it.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
yes they have been doing that for quite a while now, dismantle the movement, use a 'crows foot' to support under the plate and a pin punch to drive the pin wheel off.

I usually ream out the pin wheel collet so it just slips over the arbour it rides on, then cross drill the collet, tap and fit a set/grub screw, you can buy 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm set screws with hex sockets, these come in hardened and stainless steel.
I like that idea. They had a great design - why change it? How much more can drilling a hole, tapping it and supplying a screw cost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justincasejustintime
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller