American Help with Rare S. B. Terry clock missing pieces

John Greeney

NAWCC Member
Sep 9, 2013
I picked up this S.B. Terry clock last August. However, it is unclear how the movement is supposed to be mounted. There appear to be numerous case shadows for large mounting blocks, but I cannot find another example with this particular movement to go by. Unsure of how the dial is supposed to be attached as well. I have been able to find only two pictures of similar *strap* examples, but not this exact movement. The only other time I have seen this exact movement was at last year's national convention where a loose movement and dial were for sale. At the time, I didn't have a case, so I didn't see the point in purchasing it. The seller confirmed at the time his was also an S. B. Terry.
If anyone has another example of this particular one, or happened to pick up that dial/movement combo, some extra pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

IMG_20190802_184330.jpg IMG_20190802_184334.jpg

CameraGuy32

Apr 12, 2019
Country
Region
I picked up this S.B. Terry clock last August. However, it is unclear how the movement is supposed to be mounted. There appear to be numerous case shadows for large mounting blocks, but I cannot find another example with this particular movement to go by. Unsure of how the dial is supposed to be attached as well. I have been able to find only two pictures of similar *strap* examples, but not this exact movement. The only other time I have seen this exact movement was at last year's national convention where a loose movement and dial were for sale. At the time, I didn't have a case, so I didn't see the point in purchasing it. The seller confirmed at the time his was also an S. B. Terry.
If anyone has another example of this particular one, or happened to pick up that dial/movement combo, some extra pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

View attachment 568564 View attachment 568566

I just picked up an Atkins and Porter that looks a lot like this. I'm sure that Atkins, Porter, Terry, Thomas, and Jerome all knew and worked with each other. They were all within a 10 mile radius at the same time.
Mine has 2 vertical pieces with notches cut to accept mounting board that slides in. The movement is held onto the mounting board by 2 "J" hooks. The hole above the movement is a screw hole for a small piece of wood that holds the movement to the back of the case. Hope this helps.
Steve
mount1.jpg mount2.jpg mount3.jpg mount4.jpg

John Greeney

NAWCC Member
Sep 9, 2013
With many thanks to a well known New England Auction house, I was able to find a second example of this type of movement. Interestingly enough, the dial in their example mounts by pinning to the side of the case. I only have one hole, where i should have four. I will have to look very closely under stronger light. They were also nice enough to give me some additional photos (along with permission to publish them) of the movement mounting system which will help with re-creating accurate mounting blocks for mine.

24995_07.jpg 24995_08.jpg 24995_09.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otley99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-