Help with PHS shelf cuckoo clock!

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ballistarius, Apr 13, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    COLLECTOR, RESTORER, PRESERVER, TRADER.
    Because the mounts have a swivel action I usually just fill the hole with a correctly sized dowel and wood glue, then swivel the mount off to the side a bit and drill a fresh hole..
    Works every time,.

2. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011
    Over working it this way and all the extra holes and hardware will detract form its value and originality, not to mention scare away any future potential buyers, and collectors, seeing a bunch of holes is usually a red flag to a marriage movement, slashing the value to a fraction.

3. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks, Harold and Jeff!:D

Jeff, the method you propose on your first post is the good one and it was my plan A. My problem is that there are on my case at least three ripped holes for each attachment point :( The former owners or repairers, after the six original screw holes failed, swivelled the brackets to the left and screwed again, when the six new attachments failed, then swivelled the brackets to the right and screwed again. After this third attempt failed and the movement crashed through the dial... the clock was offered to me. Now there is no more room on the wooden panel to swivel to, just a lot of holes, mostly interconnected or just with tiny slivers of wood between them.:?|

The problem has been caused by a faulty original design, not only by careless handling. The backing wooden plank is too thin and it cannot be thicker because the hour and minute cannons are rather short and the hands would, otherwise, rub against the dial.
    I even thought of removing the whole plank and put a new, fresh one to do the work. I discarded the idea because the fragile carvings on the front plank would surely fall to pieces during the operation.
    Thus, the only way left is to transmit most of the weight of the movement to a better point (the wooden blocks will be glued to the base in a reversible way) and to create new attachment points for the movement where the original ones were.

I agree totally with what you say on your second post, Jeff. I don't intend to sell the clock, but it is clear that somebody will do in a future:rolleyes:. Anyway, bear in mind that I didn't bought a clock, just a movement and a box full of case debris;) I enjoy bringing it back to life againYoda, but I am totally aware of the shortcomings. I'll try to keep the clock as accurate to original as possible from the outside and by the inside, but some 'scars' are unavoidable, even if they only show by the inside...

What do you think about filling the old holes with epoxy and driving the screws there? Driving screws in fresh epoxy or in already hard one?:confused:

Aitor

4. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011
    Yes, I saw on a closer inspection all the holes from this being done already.. Sorry for speaking too soon on that point.. I agree with epoxy, its what i use, but i always just use it like glue, and make a custom wood plug for each hole. You are right.. that motor is a pretty good chunk of brass adding extra stress to the mounts.. an obvious problem.. the wood ledges are not a bad idea, but i would make it all right and just add the new wood ledges in a "removable" way.. thus protecting its value and aesthetics.
    coming along nicely though...

5. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeff,

Many thanks for your advice:D
    A removable way to fix the wooden blocks would have been to drive screws through the base board into them. I have decided not to make more holes and then chosen soluble glue instead.
    The old screws (at least those which came with the clock) had their points protruding 'merrily' from the case front. I have trimmed them to be flush with the backing front panel: Less grasp but less 'hedgehog' look too!:rolleyes:
    Finally, I've given up my idea of the brass plate 'nuts' and followed Jeff's advice. Notwithstanding, I've used epoxy putty to fill the old screw holes (too whittish, but the restorer will tint it to a better hue)
    inside-rep-holes.jpg
    I've left the task of filling the holes not intended to work to the restorer, who will do it in a more unconspicuous way...:whistle: Surprisingly, one of the holes was still able to retain its screw yet!:eek:
    The movement screwed to the case again:
    Movemetn-attached.jpg
    A frontal view with the dial removed:
    Front-wo-dial.jpg
    And now the case is ready to go to the cabinet-maker, who shall put all the surviving original parts of the puzzle together again!Nutjob

Aitor

6. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Again on its feet!

Hello again,
    The cabinet-maker returned me the case yesterday, and now it is again in one piece and standing on its feet!Nutjob

Next step will be to fix movement, bird and whistles before I send them all to my clock repairer for giving the movement a much needed overhaul.
    In the meantime, I hope to be able to get more information on the elusive fence pattern...:confused:

Case1.jpg Basement.jpg Back.jpg

Aitor

7. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Update

Work proceeds slowly with this battered, old dinosaur...:)
    I've found a suitable pair of old pipes & bellows and re-leathered the bellows, also a suitable bird with wooden base and movable wings. I have installed them inside the case and connected them to the movement.
    attachment.jpg
    A real improvement compared to the modern ones (at tleast, the pipes weren't plastic 'necked') and the ugly plastic bird wich came with the clock...:rolleyes:
    attachment.jpg
    Now I must wait until I find a gap in my busy clock repairer's calendar!:exhausted:
    As to the case, now that I've found a suitable local wood carver, I plan to have a new topper and the bird door completed along this year (By the way, the wood of the case isn't mahogany, it is just walnut)
    UNFORTUNATELY, I'm still looking for a detailed photo of the lower fence. I wonder if, during this three years, somebody here has seen something like this:
    attachment.jpg
    Many thanks in advance!!

Aitor

Attached Files:

8. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Update: bird door

The bird door has been reconstructed by the wood carver, completing the remains of the original door. The new topper in walnut is almost finished too!:excited:
    312039.jpg 312038.jpg

Aitor

Attached Files:

9. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Update: topper and movement

Hello again,
    The carver finished the new topper and it is now installed. I have just fetched the movement from the clock repairer, who has fixed some issues in the escape wheel teeth and overhauled the whole movement. The clock is again ticking and cuckcooing:D
    I've placed the long ago restored dial in place. The bone numerals and hands are still waiting inside a box until the case is finished. Still waiting for a model to have the lower fence carved, but that will not happen before the case of the GHS echo is successfully flattened...:cuckoo:
    IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3131.JPG

Aitor

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a nice clock. You should be quite happy with your persistence and the reward that goes with it! :)

11. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks, shutter:)
    Seven years since I started with this clock:cool: It's not holding my absolute record yet, but it's still far from being finished... Persistence is the only thing i've got in ample supply! ;)

Aitor

12. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have just read the whole post, what a great job, your dedication deserves a medal, now I am inspired to get my Beha done.

13. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks, Jimmy:)
    BTW, Have you posted your Beha to the MB? I'd love to see it!:cool:

Aitor

14. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay Aitor, I posted it way back in 2008 and it has been in a box since then, I posted on another thread about a Beha a week ago and had quick look at it and shut the box again, now after reading your post I thought it was time to get it out and fix the whole thing up, here is the links, I think this is a Beha cuckoo clock and Some more pic's of Beha case about 1860? I am better versed in Beha now having worked in a cuckoo shop for the last 10 years and just finished a truly fantastic twin fusee table Beha, I will get a few photos of that and post them later.

15. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks, Jimmy, and a very cool Beha cuckoo:coolsign: Is the bird's chest painted in red? The intricate case carvings are nearly complete and so the movement, except for the stopworks.
    Fantastic to see the twin fusee one. I own a shelf twin fusee Beha with its matching? shelf too.

Aitor

16. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I will have a look at the bird when I pull out the box. I am off to golf ... have nice day.

ballistarius likes this.
  17. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The bird is green on the body with some brown squickly bits, the red you can see is the undercoat as the green has been rubed away. When I do the clock up I will take some pic's of it.

18. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks for having a look at it, Jimmy.:)
    Undercoat?o_O That certainly deserves a pic, please.
    My experience with wooden birds limits to ten or them or so. I've had to repaint three whose paint had badly flaked away, but never found an undercoat. It sounds very interesting.
    The chest of birds is very prone to losing its paint. My Ketterer's bird has a patch of wood exposed at that point, but, being more or less uncospicuous, I decided to leave it as it is...:rolleyes:
    IMG_1992.JPG IMG_1925.JPG IMG_2014.JPG
    Aitor

19. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a few photos of it even the tree branches are original and have not been broken. The boss put it on display however it is well out of reach of peoples hands so nobody can mess with it. I wanted to do a full service on it, however he said it had just been done before he bought it, it does not look like that to me however he is the boss. The numbers and hands are not original, however are made out of bone and copy of Beha.

Behafusee.jpg Behafusee1.jpg Behafusee2.jpg Behafusee3.jpg

20. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks, Jimmy.
    The carvings are superb, but I prefer less exhuberant cases (just a matter of tastes:rolleyes:) Really nice bird and movement! The double bird door looks too plain. Is it a date what is painted on it?
    I wonder if we all (me included, of course) aren't biasing the picture by replacing numerals and hands by exquisitely carved new bone ones o_O
    I own two Behas with original numerals and hands. Of course, they are rather late in date (say beginning of 20th century) ones and, of course, not top-end ones. Numerals are plain nailed celluloid ones and the bone hands, run-of-the mill ones...
    IMG_3132.JPG IMG_2895.JPG
    Aitor

21. ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, now that the clock is ticking and cuckooing, I've begun to feel the urge to have this project (at last) finished:eek:
    As it seems I'll (probably) never find a clear pic of the desired lower fence:glasses:,
    I've made up my mind and designed a 'version' of it out of the meagre information coming from the extant low-res, blurry photograph.:mallet:
    Here it goes:
    Fence.jpg
    I'll try to have it made by the carver (plus the missing column) alogn the incoming year...:yoda:

Aitor