Help with new clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Doug Moulder, Feb 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Doug Moulder

Doug Moulder Registered User

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Weatherford, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Purchased online at a local estate sale/auction. Any information on possible date and manufacturer would be great thanks in advance

doug

clock1.jpg clock2.jpg clock3.jpg clock4.jpg clock5.jpg clock6.jpg clock7.jpg clock8.jpg

2. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Someone will be along shortly who can give you the correct info. In the meantime, congratulations, it looks like you've acquired a real quality clock!
    Ray

3. Doug Moulder

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Weatherford, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Ray. My brother has posted this on some facebook something and the responses seem to be elliot of london. It does have nine tubular chimes if this helps.

4. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That would have been my first guess --although my Elliot tallcase is clearly marked "Elliot London" on the back plate. I'm sure there are more experienced folks on this mb who can confirm the maker. Ray

5. Doug Moulder

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Weatherford, Texas
    Country Flag:
    More information
    Tubes 1-1/8" x 32-3/8" through 46-7/8" Seven in all
    Tube 1-3/4" x 73-1/8" one

So 8 tube

6. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    welcome to the forum.

as ray mentions, this is a high quality clock. it is also a bit of an oddball in many ways. 8 tubes is very uncommon. i have never seen this style of hammer design, especially on an elliot. with this said, i can't say i know a lot about it. it appears to be a good deal smaller than most tubular bell clocks made by that company. i wonder if perhaps this was an answer to the mathias baurele bungalow clock? i would guess this is one of their last hall clocks produced. so perhaps from the 1920's? 1 1/8" tube is a good deal smaller than a standard elliot tube- normally 1 3/8" i believe. assuming it is original to this clock, The single large bell is for striking the hour. i was thinking that whittington required eight bells though?

I can see by your photos(the unsightly stain around the winding barrel pivot hole) that this clock was at one time oiled with the wrong lubricant. i would strongly recommend not running it until you have it properly serviced.

chimeclockfan will hopefully be along in a hot minute to lend his expertise.

7. Doug Moulder

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Weatherford, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Appreciate the feedback Brian, was wondering about that stain you mentioned thanks. Called for service looks to be a three month wait.

8. Doug Moulder

Feb 21, 2020
    Male
    Weatherford, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Edit its nine tube, missed one.