Help With my First pocket watch

burton411

Apr 6, 2013
Hello,
this is my first Pocket watch, i was hoping on any information i could gather on its age and make.

28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg

The face says " D.A. Fowlie Midland Ont. "
would this be the makers mark?
I would also like to know how to open the watch if anyone could help me there it would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Graham.

Attachments

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Re: New PocketWatch

From the style of the face it looks like an American-made 12-size watch that was specially marked for a jeweler. 12-size was a common size for gentlemen. They were available as early as the 1890s but did not really become popular until the 'teens and later. Again, based on the style of the numbers and markings I might guess it was made by the Illinois Watch Co., but we cannot be sure without seeing what the movement (the mechanism of the watch) looks like. I think this is probably a case that has a back that screws off. With the flat of your palm pressed against the back see if the back will turn counterclockwise. It that opens the case you should be able to see the mechanism to give us a description or photos.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I also responded in your other post, but could not read the Ontario location on the dial. As a watch for the Canadian market this might be either an American or Swiss-made watch. If you can unscrew the back of the case you should be able to describe or photograph the movement (the watch mechanism), from which we can tell you a lot more.

LloydB

Feb 24, 2006
La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
Country
Region
The back most likely screws off.

Holding your watch firmly between the
palms of your hands, a quick counter-
clockwise motion will usually start to
loosen it.

Just to be safe, do this over a soft surface
-- if it slips, no harm.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Says Midland, Ontario on the dial as said we need to see the movement to id maker.

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
Regina watch Swiss co
7 jewels adjusted 2 position
4 820 000 serial
Your movement photo is too blurry and too large and came up too slowly so that with my slow dial-up connection I couldn't wait for it, but I know enough about Regina watches to be able to give you some basic information.

Regina watches were a "second tier (that is, less expensive) line of watches made by the Omega Watch Company of Bienne Switzerland for sale in Canada by jewellers and other watch sellers who were not franchised (i.e., not "authorized") Omega dealers and thus could not sell Omega-branded watches. I believe that Omega sold Regina, and perhaps other lesser-known brands as well, in Canada. That way they could offer different watches for sale by different dealers in the same town; in that way the jewellers/watch sellers would not be in direct competition with each selling the same brand. At least that is the way it was explained to me years ago by a retired Canadian jeweller and railroad watch inspector.

Your watch, ser. no. 4820000, was probably made sometime between 1910 and 1919, but most likely closer to 1919 than to 1910.

Now that your photo has come up, it is still not possible to see the movement very well.

D. A. Fowlie of Midland, Ontario was the jeweller/watchseller who sold the watch at the retail level. It is what is called a "private label" or jeweller-named watch. Watch manufacturers would put the name of the jeweler on the watch dial or movement or on both, usually for a small additional charge, or even no additional charge, especially if the jeweller bought enough watches.

Larry [the other] Treiman

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pamula
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller