Help with maker "UV"

M Saxon

Mar 5, 2013
North Pickenham, Norfolk, UK
Country
Region
Hello again fellow clockaholics :)

I bought this Vienna springer for £15.00. I only got it because from what I could see the movement looked a bit interesting. The case is the usual stuff and has been reconditioned to an accepatable level.

I pulled the movement out today and was suprised by the quality. It has an eight pointed star, which on first sight said Junghans. Serial number 4431 on the back of the rear plate.

Anyway under the glass it is actually UV or VU. I did a bit of web trawling and came acrross a Swiss maker Usine de la Vieze with a very similar mark. The movement has really thick solid plates and the strike side is rack and snail. It has a lovely escape anchor similar to the twin weight Vienna I have. The screws holding the plates together are massive and the quality allover seems to be way above the mass produced German stuff. The dial is a single plain white enamel with roman numerals. It has a very thin brass bezel (nearly sliced my thumb).

Please tel me more......
Is this a Swiss movemet?
Is it old or a modern replica?
Anybody seen others like this?

Thanks Mark

UV Logo.jpg overview.jpg Anchor.jpg

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Greetings Mark,

yes, this is a high quality movement and I also assume, it was made in Germany. But the "Lexikon der deutschen Uhrenindustrie 1850 - 1980", the best source of German clocks and their facturers does not give a name for this logo. Most likely this logo belonges to a still unknown retailer/wholesaler/case maker.

But I am quite shure, the real facturer of this high quality movement is a well known name. There is one chance to get the name of the facturer: Please remove hands and dial and show us a pic of the frontside of this movement. And please also show us a pic of the gongholder.

albra

M Saxon

Mar 5, 2013
North Pickenham, Norfolk, UK
Country
Region
Thanks for that,

Here is the mount and gong holder.
I have also included a couple of the case.
Marriage?
I do like to read the insciptions on clocks and it seems this was a marriage gift !
Picture of front of movement to follow.

Mark

Attachments

Mikrolisk

Feb 16, 2011
Germany
www.mikrolisk.de
Country
Region
128.jpg
Usine de la Vièze, Manufactures de Pendules Suisse
from Monthey, Switzerland
they made pendules and registered their trade mark on 26th april 1893.

Andreas

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Thank you Andreas!!

albra

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages