• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Help with "Made in Württemberg" clock.

dvdberg

Apr 24, 2021
Country
Region
I need some help with this clock please. Other than "Made in Württenberg" I know nothing about it.
I wish to know the maker and approximate date of manufacture,
suggestions on cleaning the dial,
and how to keep it running. The suspension spring seems over long and pushed with 3 holes, the crutch is bent a few different ways too. It doesn't seen to have enough energy to swing the pendulum though it freely rocks without the pendulum. Thanks in advance for your help! 20220123_162348.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I need some help with this clock please. Other than "Made in Württenberg" I know nothing about it.
I wish to know the maker and approximate date of manufacture,
suggestions on cleaning the dial,
and how to keep it running. The suspension spring seems over long and pushed with 3 holes, the crutch is bent a few different ways too. It doesn't seen to have enough energy to swing the pendulum though it freely rocks without the pendulum. Thanks in advance for your help!
The two major German clock makers located in Württemberg were Junghans and Hamburg-Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik (HAU), or its English equivalent, Hamburg American Clock Company (HAC).

Pictures of the clock and movement (especially the backplate) will be helpful in identifying your clock maker and possibly dating it. Also, a clear picture of the label on the backboard would also be helpful.

Regards.

dvdberg

Apr 24, 2021
Country
Region
The two major German clock makers located in Württemberg were Junghans and Hamburg-Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik (HAU), or its English equivalent, Hamburg American Clock Company (HAC).

Pictures of the clock and movement (especially the backplate) will be helpful in identifying your clock maker and possibly dating it. Also, a clear picture of the label on the backboard would also be helpful.

Regards.
Thanks, see the pictures above please. I added them while you were so kindly replying!

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Yes, it is pictured in the second post above. Only mine is quite nearly gone.
Your clock is from HAC / HAU.

The early variant of the one shown on your "paper" was registered in 1886. The illustration below is from the Stadmuseum Schramberg's 1989 publication that accompanied an exhibition about HAU at the Museum.

1642982858577.png

Above courtesy of Doug Stevenson.

The "Made in Württemberg" in any case dates the clock to not earlier than 1891.

HAC / HAU clocks are difficult to date as they did not leave us many clues. :)

Someone could have an HAC / HAU catalog showing your clock, but a catalog only proves that a model was offered in a particular year. The model would most likely have been offered +/- 5 years or so from the catalog date (and with your clock, not earlier than 1891).

Regards.

dvdberg

Apr 24, 2021
Country
Region
Your clock is from HAC / HAU.

The early variant of the one shown on your "paper" was registered in 1886. The illustration below is from the Stadmuseum Schramberg's 1989 publication that accompanied an exhibition about HAU at the Museum.

View attachment 691873

Above courtesy of Doug Stevenson.

The "Made in Württemberg" in any case dates the clock to not earlier than 1891.

HAC / HAU clocks are difficult to date as they did not leave us many clues. :)

Someone could have an HAC / HAU catalog showing your clock, but a catalog only proves that a model was offered in a particular year. The model would most likely have been offered +/- 5 years or so from the catalog date (and with your clock, not earlier than 1891).

Regards.
Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itrfguy
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-