Seth Thomas American Help with info on Seth Thomas shelf clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by David S, May 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi folks,
    A customer brought me an old Seth Thomas clock in reasonable condition and he would like some more info on it.
    It has the round movement and stamped Plymouth on the front plate. The dial has a zinc dial pan, but the dial itself is thick paper glued to the dial pan. The label is in very good condition.

Can someone give me some more information on the clock? From what I have read here it seems like it was made before 1865?

clock full front view.jpg movement front.jpg make stamped on movement.jpg
    whole label.jpg

Thank you

David

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David. Is there any signs of extra screw holes that would beused for mounting the movement?
    Is this a full size Oggee clock> I cant say i have seen a round movement in a case like this before.

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for following up on this. I am not at home now so can't check for holes, but will do next time I am home. The only extra hole I saw is down were I removed the gong to get a better picture of the label. There was one extra hole in that area.

David

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #4 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Looks like a miniature "round band" spring driven ogee, not a full size weight driven one.

That round plate movement is found with some frequency in ST miniature ogees and shelf clocks (I've had both). Looks right as rain to me. They are 30 hour clocks.

The use of the "Thomaston" place name on the label would indicate a date after 1865 reflecting when the place name was changed from "Plymouth".

There was a period during the transition when the label said "Thomaston" but the works said "Plymouth". Again not at all unusual. The typical explanations given for this were that frugal CT Yankees were using up existing stock and the other is frugal CT Yankees not changing the stamp to mark the movement front plate until the old one wore out. Probably and element of truth to both.

Looks like a really nice example!

RM.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Plymouth on the movement and Thomaston on the label would indicate the clock was manufactured sometime in or after 1865, when Plymouth Hollow was informally renamed Thomaston (formalized in 1875, IIRC).

Tran shows a bevel-edged OG having this movement (though with an alarm) and possibly the same label. The whole label is not shown, but Tran's date of "ca. 1863" may indicate that the label had Plymouth Hollow. See Tran's 3d ed., vol. 2, p 651. So, not an impossible movement for this type of case.

6. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you to all that are giving me information.

Is it possible that the paper dial is not correct? When I look at the back of the zinc dial plate I see 4 small holes in about a 3 or 4" diameter circle as if something else may have been attached at one time....or the dial plate was used with something else on other models.

David

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    A paper would not be correct.

These clocks had metal dials with a raised chapter ring.

Sometimes the dial flaked & a replacement paper one was plastered over.

RM

8. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Finally back in the shop after putting the RV away for the winter.

I have it running on the test bench and notice that the strike is striking way too fast. The fly is snug on the arbour and cleaned of oil etc. I notice that the time side mainspring is open loop and the loop end is just folded back on itself, where as the strike mainspring is riveted suggesting that it may have been replaced.

Does anyone know what the correct strike mainspring should be for this movement. Soon as the test stops I will measure both to see how they compare, but thought I would start now to see if I can find a replacement if necessary.
    Thank you
    David