Help with identifying more on this Moon phase tall case clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Russ Granzow, Jan 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Russ Granzow

Russ Granzow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 10, 2019
    I would really appreciate any information on this new acquisition. Looks late 18th century NJ style. Has the name of probably owner (Slayback) on inside base. 'Osborne' stamped ironplate on clockworks otherwise unsigned.

MoonDial_4.jpg MoonDial_5.jpg MoonDial_6.jpg IMG_1982.jpg IMG_1983.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Osborne as a dial maker in Birmingham. The movement, however has smooth winding barrels suggesting it is not English.

3. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The osborne name on its own was in use from 1779 until 1813, your dial style suggests pre 1800.

4. Russ Granzow

Russ Granzow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Thanks ntk, Is it the case that if you see an Osborne iron plate that it implies his factory made the painted clock face or would American makers combine parts from England with American clock faces?

5. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I would imagine they supplied the dial with the plate attached. However I don't know.

6. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There don't appear to be any extra holes on the falseplate which indicates it is original to the dial which suggests Osborne also made the dial, the style indicates it is pre 1800 as Nick says.

Osborne was one of the largest suppliers of dials to the US and it has been suggested the lack of a name on the face of dials imported by wholesalers from England to America is because the end customer for the dial was unknown when it was made and sold.