• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Help with identifying maker and era of a Tall Clock

UltraTitan

New User
Jul 27, 2021
Country
Hello folks,

New member here. My family is downsizing and we have two tall clocks. One has been in my family since the late 1700s (wow!) and the other was my great aunt's. She was born in 1900 in Maryland.

Pics of her clock attached.

I'm looking for help with identifying the maker and era of this clock. Poking around the forums - a clock with a similar dial was just posted ( https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/newly-...r-additional-information.181230/#post-1478886 ) - might the dial be Curtis or Nolin and Curtis?

I will be posting a seperate thread on the other clock - I am doing a deep dive on it because I do know the maker. You will be in for a treat! But in the meantime, any help with this one will be greatly appreciated.

mg1.jpg mg2.jpg

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Identifying a maker with no name on the dial is unlikely. The style of the dial if English suggests late 1700s. Have you checked the back of the dial as it might have a dialmaker's mark?

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
From the little that can be ascertained from these two photos; This clock is likely American, most likely from Pennsylvania, circa 1800-1820. The hands are suggestive of PA clockwork. The tin can weights are decidedly American. The inlays suggest it to be from one of the more refined makers nearer to larger populations in PA. The case style is more formal than country. Photos of the rest of the case including the feet, some photos of the movement, what is the primary wood in the case etc. would be helpful in researching the clock.

UltraTitan

New User
Jul 27, 2021
Country
Thank you for the information. Full length photo which shows the feet (though partially obscured by the chair, I apologize) attached.

I'll try to get more detailed photos of the inside this weekend.

mg3.jpg

Caton

Oct 11, 2019
Country
You can very often make out the name of the maker by shining a bright torch sideways onto the dial in a darkened room. An ultra violet light also usually shows up the name. I would suggest you look under the date dial or between the 35 & 25 minute markers. The hands look like replacements to me.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Such hands happen on Penn clocks of the period from time to time. Here is another example from a Skinner auction. They are not common but I have seen a couple with such hands. From what we can see of the rest of the clock the hands are most likely correct.

1627473186872.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-