Help with ID please

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Kaytee79, Oct 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kaytee79

Kaytee79 Registered User

Oct 31, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I would be really grateful for any info on this clock I've inherited, also if it has value?
    Thankyou all in advance

20191031_145245.jpg 20191031_145040.jpg 20191031_145013.jpg 20191031_144950.jpg 20191031_144941.jpg 20191031_144929.jpg 20191031_144852.jpg 20191031_144833.jpg 20191031_144810.jpg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    it's a nice carriage clock... someone who knows those puppies will be along and tell you more.

yes, it has value... discussions of value are only allowed in the 'what's it worth?' forum: What is this CLOCK worth?

discussions about the clock can continue here, but please start another thread thread in the 'what's in worth?' forum afterwards to get an idea of values... but give it a chance here for people to respond.

p.s.: nice clock!

Kaytee79 likes this.
  3. Kaytee79

Kaytee79 Registered User

Oct 31, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thankyou Bruce for your reply. I can't post where you suggested yet as it says I don't have enough privileges I'm happy for any information on it as well. I have tried gently winding it and wound it 2 full turns but I darent turn it more in case it would of damaged it. It turned very easy no excessive force was needed but it didn't start ticking. I've not done anything else as I'm a complete clock newbie

4. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    mechanical clocks need to be serviced every 5-10 years (optimally). what's the history on it? do you know when it was last serviced?

i actually wouldn't try to run it until it was serviced... maybe you could check your local yelp for clock shops (but read the reviews, and between the lines of the reviews!) and/or look for nawcc chapters or members near you... where are you located?

btw... you can always read the 'repairs' forum and send a private message to individuals there who resonate with you who might be willing to service it if you shipped it...

it should run again! :cool:

Kaytee79 likes this.
  5. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello, Kaytee, and welcome to the board.

There is something written above the 6 and below the 12 that is not legible in your pictures. Please let us know what is written in those places.

Regards.

Kaytee79 likes this.
  6. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kaytee79 -

As far as I know, registered board members can post in the "value" forums. You are a registered member. Beyond that, you have to click on the link just above the "value" area in order to change your profile to allow posting there.

Kurt

Kaytee79 likes this.
  7. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    You have a nice, decorative, time-only carriage clock, that would have been made around the turn of the century, say 1900 to 1910 as a guess. It has a cylinder escapement, which an be difficult to repair if it is damaged. To check, you might try holding the clock in one hand and twisting it to one side - this might get the balance wheel (visible at the top of the clock) to move, and might get the clock to run for a short period of time. If so, then it can easily be serviced to get it running smoothly. Whether you want to do this depends on how much value the clock has to you, as the cost of service will probably be more than the value of the un-serviced clock, and won't add that much to its value if you eventually wanted to sell.

Your clock has suffered in the past, with someone polishing away the gold plating that was on the top of the clock - please try not to use harsh polish on the remaining areas where the gold plating is still intact!

As has been pointed out above, there is a name of the retailer on the dial, but like many clocks made at this time, the maker will probably remain anonymous.

It is probably better to store the winding key underneath, or next to the clock, rather than in the back of the clock.

Kaytee79 likes this.
  8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    The lower word on the dial looks to be Birmingham, the upper word is partly rubbed away - could be Grimes or similar. As has been said, this would be the retailer rather than the maker. The Birmingham referred to is likely the Birmingham in England.

JTD

Kaytee79 likes this.
  9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Going by the flag she displays, the enquirer is in France.

JTD

Kaytee79 likes this.
  10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Go to your 'Preferences' and select the check box to discuss values. Then you should be able to post your enquiry in the What's this Clock Worth section.

JTD

Kaytee79 likes this.
  11. Kaytee79

Kaytee79 Registered User

Oct 31, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thankyou everyone for taking the time to reply. I can't make out the upper word but the lower word is Birmingham. I will try as you suggested, to turn the clock and see if it starts.
    I am in France ( English) so it's difficult to find a trustworthy clock shop. Thankyou again for your advice.

12. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    If the clock is completely unwound, as your message seems to suggest, you could wind it a few more turns first and see if you can start it then.

JTD

Kaytee79 likes this.
  13. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #13 Dick C, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Kaytee79 likes this.
  14. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think you are very probably right. I suspect he/they were the retailers, rather than the movement makers.

JTD

Kaytee79 likes this.
  15. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    doh! flag doesn’t show on my iphone

Kaytee79 likes this.
  16. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting that the flag does not show Bruce. Kind of annoying sometimes when i cant see on my phone as well.

Kaytee79 likes this.
  17. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It’s pretty typical on responsive websites to hide some elements when you go to smaller mobile views just because of the limited real estate

Kaytee79 and Kevin W. like this.
  18. Kaytee79

Kaytee79 Registered User

Oct 31, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I went to the cupboard to do as you've suggested, I opened the door and shes already ticking away beautifully !

19. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Great to hear. If you want to keep it running, it would be advisable to get it serviced sooner rather than later. Not sure how much you know about these clocks, but to set it to time, move the hands around clockwise, and to adjust if it is going fast or slow, then use the little lever at the top of the clock, moving it towards S to make it run slower, and F to make it run faster.

Kaytee79 likes this.
  20. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Excellent! Now you can wind it fully and it will likely run for at least week. However, as zedric says, it would be good to have it serviced if you are going to run it permanently.

To wind it fully, just continue turning the key until it won't turn any more. You can't overwind a clock, that's an old wives' tale.

JTD

Kaytee79 likes this.
  21. Kaytee79

Kaytee79 Registered User

Oct 31, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    If it's valuable then I'll likely not keep it. I would not want to use it or have it on display in case anything happens to it. It's very pretty though.
    You have all been very helpful, Thankyou so much.
    P.S I'll post the watches and Pocket watches next

22. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    You can ask about values of clocks in the forum "What is this CLOCK worth?" at the bottom of the main page.

Carriage clocks were, at one time, the most common form of clock in the UK so to sell well they have to stand out from the crowd. They varied in quality from excellent to poor, and prices now range from the high thousands down to a few tens of dollars. Prices are determined by rarity, features, escapement type, quality of movement, size (if particularly large or small), decoration, to a very limited extent age, and to a far greater extent where the clock was made (English and Swiss made clocks from the 1800s being typically the most expensive). Then if it has a famous maker, you can add to the price as well.

Your clock is by an anonymous maker and has a very basic movement (time only). It has some nice decoration, but that has to some extent been spoiled by over zealous polishing which has removed the gold plating. It is French made, and probably made at the start of the 20th century. You aren't going to get rich from this one - you might get enough for a meal out, but not if you are bringing a friend, and it might take a while to sell.

Kaytee79 likes this.
  23. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think that's a pretty fair estimate. If it were mine, and I didn't especially need to sell it, I would keep it and enjoy it as a nice-looking timepiece.

JTD

Kaytee79 likes this.
  24. borisl

borisl Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2009
    French carriage clock, fairly basic functionality, time only, but with a nice ornate case, probably made around 1900. You can see a partion of my collection of French carriage clocks at Untitled Document , folks sometimes use it for reference. Best regards, Boris

upload_2019-11-8_22-34-25.png

Kaytee79 and Old Rivers like this.
  25. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Beautiful selection of clocks there Boris!

26. borisl

borisl Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Thank you! Work in progress, I have many more to photograph and post, but too busy to find the time to do it... If you like French clocks past just the carriage clocks, check out the full site www.borisclocks.com .

Kaytee79 likes this.