Help with Howard 10s identification?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by okiejohn, Feb 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. okiejohn

okiejohn Registered User

Nov 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just picked up this E. Howard Watch Co. watch, with a very low SN 2522 ( I understand Keystone restarted the numbering), and it's a Model 12 ( ? ), with " PAT'D '21 " on the movement. I believe it's a 10s size, and pocketwatchdatabase.com identifies it as a "Series 14" with 21 jewels. It's a stem wind/set, pendant configuration. The movement doesn't indicate jewel count. It has an arrow with a star in a circle, and a "V" mark under the arrow.

It's in a Keystone "EXTRA" hinged back/snap on front cover case with the E. Howard etching around the inside face of back cover.

Do the experts on this site concur with the PWDB? there aren't any others with photos in the PWDB to compare to. I bought it on the 'Bay' and the seller seemed unsure of what he/she had (eBay item number:
    254502474697 ).

Any clarity would be GREATLY appreciated!

100_1992.JPG 100_1990.JPG 100_1989.JPG 100_1986.JPG

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    okiejohn likes this.
  3. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Appears to be only capped on the escape wheel so that would be 19 jewel at the most if the dial side is the same (being such a late manufacture it should be), unless of course it has ruby banking pins (which I do not think that this model had them at all, someone with more knowledge on these smaller Howard's might be able to shed some more light on it), then that would make 21 Jewel:)

okiejohn likes this.
  4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Howards that have the star with the arrow through it are 21J. As far as I know, that's the most jewels in that thin model 10s. And yes, the serial numbers are low like that. I have a non-running movement around somewhere that surprised me with the low number a while back. Nice dress watch. Enjoy.

Oh, and I think that Bila is onto something. I believe I remember that these do indeed have ruby banking pins.

okiejohn likes this.
  5. okiejohn

okiejohn Registered User

Nov 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    - I appreciate all the information from everyone...The thing that's been throwing me off when researching this movement is the lack of the "21J" marking to the right of the arrow/star. In fact there is no jewel count anywhere on it, as opposed to all of the different 10s Howards I've seen..

6. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Based on a few photos I have in my archive it appears that they did not mark "21J" on the earlier movements, but the star in the circle confirms the jewel count. These started in their own serial number sequence at 1001. Here is a photo of a later example that is more clearly marked.
    10size_m.jpg

... and, Yes, these do have jeweled banking. Here is a photo posted on the board a long time ago, I believe by Bill Tapp, showing the jewels.
    Howard10Ruby.jpg

7. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I have owned(in the past) one of these 21j low serial numbered 10s howards
    and they are very nice.

Rob

okiejohn likes this.
  8. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    The estimated production of these 10-size, 21-jewel watches is 9,500. You can read a little more about them in the "E. Howard Watch Co." Encyclopedia article.

okiejohn and musicguy like this.
  9. okiejohn

okiejohn Registered User

Nov 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Kent for the information and the link. I'll check it out!

10. okiejohn

okiejohn Registered User

Nov 22, 2013
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Jerry!

11. Nathan Moore

Nathan Moore Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Dec 29, 2011
    Country Flag:
    #43510 has been observed as a 21-Jewel movement, expanding that particular run a bit and increasing the estimated production.

12. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, the "Estimated 10-Size 21-Jewel Movement Runs" Table has been edited to reflect this.