Help with Hallmarks possibly Case Maker and also Makers Marks

NeilA

Feb 11, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
Country
Region
These hallmarks are from a silver Trench Watch and there are 2 marks which I have so far not been able to ID. Can anyone help please.

So far I have the R&S (Rotheram & Sons), London Import Mark and Date Mark 1915.

What intrigues me is why there should be 2 further hallmarks which I am assuming that one is the Case Makers mark and the other either the movement maker or
the Brevet (Patent?) owner.

As you can se efrom the photograph these marks are HF in a Sheild and below the Brevet and Swiss Cross DEM.

I have tried Mikrolisk and a few other reference sites / material without success and if anyone can suggest possible sources or links that would be appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
This is pretty close, courtesy of Mikrolisk, from Fabrique d'Horologerie de Fountainmelon SA (Fountain Watchmakers Guild), Fountainmelon, Switzerland. I found it using 'schild', German for shield, in the search bar.
112.jpg

NeilA

Feb 11, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
Country
Region
Squite your right it is pretty close and it's possible I suppose that HF may have become part of Ebauches SA and changed their lettering when they adopted the ESA Shield. I'll dig a bit further.

Thanks Neil

NeilA

Feb 11, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
Country
Region
Squite your suggestion prompted a thought so instead of just searching for the initials I went through Mikrolisks "H" list and came across the answer to the first puzzle.

HF Logo.jpg

This is Huguenin Freres, Gehause, Shmuck (Housing, Jewellery), Le Locle, Switzerland. Registered 1905 now just need to solve BREVET DEM.

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
Nice one! Brevet means patent, so looking for that may me akin to finding a reason for the words 'safety pinion' on an American-made movement, seeing as there's no actual patent number.

Last edited:

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Neal,

You've found the correct owner of the HF mark, Huguenin Freres of Le Locle. They are well known as jewelers, watch casemakers, and even produced some of the early Olympic medals. They were one of the most prolific producers of Niello cases throughout the Art Nouveau and Art Deco eras, and continued producing watch cases until the 1960s.

I believe that Brevet Dem simply means "Registered (or patented) Design".

NeilA

Feb 11, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
Country
Region
Cary

Thank you for the additional detail on Huguenin Freres very interesting.

I have managed to find out a bit more about Brevet DEM. the DEM is for "Demande" so that Brevet DEM means the same as Patent Pending.

Enjoy your weekends and thanks to all for the help.

Last edited:

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Hi
I don't think DEM is Patent Pending
That is Brevet S.G.D.G. Indicating 'Brevet Sans Garantie du Gourvernment i.e. A Patent Without Government Guarantee or Patent Pending

I think yours may mean 'Depose' or deposited or filed. Once it has been granted you Brevet then issued patent No.

Just my feeling

NeilA

Feb 11, 2011
Edinburgh, Scotland
Country
Region
Adam I have seen Brevet S.G.D.G on watch cases before and think you could be correct. just puzzled on why DEM and not DEP? I'll whizz around a French dictionary it may reveal something. Thanks

Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award
May 3, 2012
Costa Blanca - Spain
highercailber.com
Country
Adam I have seen Brevet S.G.D.G on watch cases before and think you could be correct. just puzzled on why DEM and not DEP? I'll whizz around a French dictionary it may reveal something. Thanks
Thanks Neil
I am sure I am right on SGDG and deposited/filed

Keep ius informed your research
Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AugustaKevin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit