Help with Grandma's Great Grandfather's Qualite Monard

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Ken Meislin, May 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. Ken Meislin

Ken Meislin New Member

May 12, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My wife found a pocket watch that belonged to her grandmothers great grandfather. See the attached three photos. Her family came from Russia just after WWII. Can you help us to see if this watch has value, where it is from, and if it can be repaired? FYI - We are more interested in the history, and the sentimental value, than in selling it. Please let me know if you can help. Thank you in advance.

Qualite Monard Photo 1.JPG Qualite Monard Photo 2.JPG Qualite Monard Photo 3.JPG

2. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The hinge can be repaired, but one never know what’s with the movement.

It is a simple Swiss watch nade for Russian market in late 1800s. Probably a standard lever movement with bar-bridges layout.

Russian silver hallmarks.

As stated on the caseback - this one was made by
    HyMoser&Co - one of the most popular brands in Imperial Russia.

If it’s a family heritage, surely worth repairing...

Ken Meislin likes this.
  3. Ken Meislin

Ken Meislin New Member

May 12, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I got the interior open. Looks clean inside.....

Qualite Monard Interior Photo 4.JPG

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    The 'Monard' mark was registered by H. Moser in 1896. I am not quite sure how this could have belonged to your wife's grandmother's great-grandfather - perhaps too many 'greats'?

Anyway, as a family heirloom the watch is priceless - way beyond the relatively trivial monetary value, and hope you will get the hinge repaired.

JTD

Ken Meislin likes this.
  5. Ken Meislin

Ken Meislin New Member

May 12, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks so much for the reply! I'm not exactly sure if we understood the note correctly - the note that was inside the bag with the watch was in Russian. We will look at it more closely. So you are saying the watch is definitely later than 1896? Somebody else told me it was likely from1850-1890. Any advice on where to get it repaired in the San Francisco area?

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Well, that mark was registered in 1896, but that doesn't necessarily mean it could not have been used a little earlier (and certainly later), so I think it likely that the watch dates from around the 1896 period.

Can you post a photo of the note in Russian?

Sorry I cannot tell you about a reliable repairer in San Francisco as I am not in USA, but I am sure there are those on here who will be able to. Otherwise you could contact your nearest NAWCC chapter - they would surely be able to recommend someone.

JTD

7. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This movement looks like circa 1900, but these are not that easy to date, it could be a little earlier. The hallmark style also reminds me of watches from circa 1900 period.
    It is a pretty decent quality movement, BTW

8. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe too many greats, but on the other hand - I have a watch made in 1911 that belonged to my neighbor’s grandfather and she’s almost 80. So either one ‚great’ too many or a late buy ;)