• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Help with gears

dg23662

Jan 26, 2012
Poquoson Va
Country
Need to know how is the best way to repair the 2 teeth on this gear and how to repair the lever. Does anyone know where I can get one if repairs are not possible.

IMG_20210115_202713043.png IMG_20210115_202537783.png IMG_20210115_202450297.png

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
The bent tooth can be straightened using flat nosed pliers but the two teeth that are broken off will have to be replaced. It is possible to replace those using the dove tail insert method. There are lots of threads on this message board about dove tailing teeth in wheels. An escape wheel is more difficult but is possible. The anchor probably just needs to be polished well.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
The bent tooth can be straightened using flat nosed pliers but the two teeth that are broken off will have to be replaced. It is possible to replace those using the dove tail insert method. There are lots of threads on this message board about dove tailing teeth in wheels. An escape wheel is more difficult but is possible. The anchor probably just needs to be polished well.
I suggested the new parts because there is a fairly large chunk missing from one of the pallets. If everything was aligned perfectly, and the escape wheel teeth only made contact with the center of the pallet, I guess that wouldn’t be an issue, but most of the pallet wear I’ve seen on clocks is usually off-center like this one. I’ve never had a verge that was worn this badly, and never replaced one, but they all seem to have that sweet spot where they like to ride. 75D802E7-0BF7-4E19-8E28-D10E1BB88CC3.jpeg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I suggested the new parts because there is a fairly large chunk missing from one of the pallets. If everything was aligned perfectly, and the escape wheel teeth only made contact with the center of the pallet, I guess that wouldn’t be an issue, but most of the pallet wear I’ve seen on clocks is usually off-center like this one. I’ve never had a verge that was worn this badly, and never replaced one, but they all seem to have that sweet spot where they like to ride. View attachment 632561
Well, the anchor is in rough shape and the replacement escape wheel does have 30 teeth like the original. If the depthing is ok and they can be mounted on the arbors easily, the new ones may work. The price seems ok. I guess I would try to repair the originals first and if it doesn’t work, order the new ones. Let us know what you do.

howtorepairpendulumclocks

Dec 18, 2020
Country
This can be repaired to preserve original/existing material. First thing would be to re-face those two escape wheel tooth tips. It is a faff but totally doable. As above, you can dovetail in a brand new tooth or leave the stub of the tooth you have and just replace the working surface. Once you have the teeth tips replaced, they will be oversized but if you don't have access to a lathe with dividing equipment and/or a depthing tool, it can be done. If you want to explore that route, just shout and I'll do some photos and a drawing or too.

dg23662

Jan 26, 2012
Poquoson Va
Country
This can be repaired to preserve original/existing material. First thing would be to re-face those two escape wheel tooth tips. It is a faff but totally doable. As above, you can dovetail in a brand new tooth or leave the stub of the tooth you have and just replace the working surface. Once you have the teeth tips replaced, they will be oversized but if you don't have access to a lathe with dividing equipment and/or a depthing tool, it can be done. If you want to explore that route, just shout and I'll do some photos and a drawing or too.
Would love any help that I can receive. Thank you

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Need to know how is the best way to repair the 2 teeth on this gear and how to repair the lever. Does anyone know where I can get one if repairs are not possible.

View attachment 632528 View attachment 632529 View attachment 632530
Over the years I have equipped myself for all Horological repairs that are almost always easily done on a small Lathe and Milling machine. While you may or may not be equipped with a lathe and compatible Mill, I will explain in case you are.

(1) I would first gas weld the verge tips with a A/O micro torch and dress as original.

(2) For the wheel you have two options. You can repair the one you have if retaining the original is desired or machine a new one if replacement is satisfactory. In this case, I will describe machining a new wheel since crossed out wheel blanks are readily available commercially and time requirements are about the same to machine a new one.

(3) I first measure the tooth radius per first photo.

(4) the radius is then scribed on a HSS lathe blank and free hand ground to the scribe line second photo. After awhile you simply touch up previous constructed tools.

(5) check fit third photo.

(6) Machine the teeth using small milling machine and Rotary table for indexing fourth photo. Shown using solid blank rather than a crossed blank.

(7) completed wheel machined on a purchased crossed blank compared to the wheel that was duplicated fifth photo.

Machining a new wheel where appropriate resolves all issues of consistency. If I had replaced the teeth in the existing wheel, I would have machined the replaced teeth in the same manner as the new wheel to assure proper function.

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_157.jpeg fullsizeoutput_159.jpeg fullsizeoutput_158.jpeg fullsizeoutput_15c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_155.jpeg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You might be able to pull that tooth a little longer. It's worth a try. This matching set might be an option too.

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.