Help with finding info on a Waterbury Dale mantel clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by dhat, Apr 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dhat

dhat Registered User

Apr 17, 2017
    Retired
    USA Michigan
    Country Flag:
    I have found my Grandmothers Waterbury Dale mantel clock but can't find any information on it. It is rough but I'm hoping to at least make it into a display or hopefully get it to work
    I'm brand new to the board but after looking thru the forum I can see a lot of nice, helpful people.
    Can anyone help me to identify this?

View attachment 340598

View attachment 340599

View attachment 340600

2. dhat

dhat Registered User

Apr 17, 2017
    Retired
    USA Michigan
    Country Flag:
    #2 dhat, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Well you have a nice old mantle clock there.
    I always encourage newcomers to go slow and resist the urge to refinish and replace everything. This is a slippery slope issue, where you overdo one thing and this stands out like a sore thumb, so you redo something else, etc, etc. Best to go for minor improvements and shoot for a clock that shows its age but looks like it has been wrll used and taken care of for its whole life.
    My 2, Willie X

4. dhat

dhat Registered User

Apr 17, 2017
    Retired
    USA Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Willie X for you wise reply. I'll be sure to keep your wisdom under advice. This will be a family keepsake that I would like to pass down.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    The Waterbury Dale belongs to a "class" of clocks known as enameled wood clocks, popularly referred to as black mantel clocks. Your book of Tran Duy Ly's Waterbury Clocks & Watches (arlingtonboks.com) must be the first edition. The second edition (2001), Vol I. p. 298, shows the Dale from the 1910 catalogue. It also could well have been offered a few years either side of 1910. Your seems to be missing the top piece shown in the catalogue, which would account for the holes on the top of the case. I have attached a copy of the catalogue picture as found in Tran's 2d edition.

View attachment 340646

6. dhat

dhat Registered User

Apr 17, 2017
    Retired
    USA Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Thanks so much Steven. Yes my book is a first edition. I do have the top, it came off. I should have put it on before I sent the picture. You have made my day!